Sign in to follow this  
hamish

Evil Socks?

Hi Everyone,

Not posted for a while mostly because DS has started on meds for ADHD, which are working really well and we have finally started to function better as a family :thumbs:

The downside of meds in a ADHD/ASD child, as I'm sure most of you know, is that once the ADHD is controlled some of the ASD traits come to the fore. The hosiptal warned that this might happen (DS doesn't have a dx as yet but the professionals involved seem to accept he is a syndrome mix).

Anyway, the point of the post is about socks! DS has always had a bit of a thing about socks (they feel WRONG) the last few weeks this has got much worse to the point where we have to try on umpteen pairs then he usually cries all the way to school.

A woman from CAMHS told me the sock thing is quite common-can anyone explain what it is about the socks that are upsetting and are there a certain type of sock I can buy that might help?

Thanks

Sx

Hi Hamish, nice to have you back >:D<<'>

This might help on the sock thing, (but not if it's the actual socks that are the problem!).

If it's that they're not put on right, you could try doing 'sock pockets', where you turn the sock inside out, then bring the toe back through the sock , holding the heel. You then have a kind of half-way inside out pocket to put the foot into. The child slides his foot into the pocket, and you can smooth it around his heel, make sure the seam is exactly matched to the toes, etc, before finally pulling the rest of the sock over the ankle and up.

If it's the feel of the socks, I think it's probably just a case of finding the softest, most 'natural' cotton ones you can. Maybe organic might help?

If it's any comfort, I have to buy the same kind of underpants each time. Last time, I got a set of 7 pairs, and G will wear them all except the green pair, which he's really against- he screams at me when I put them out!!!!!! :rolleyes:

With my son it is the seams and where they are pressing on his feet.

If he has to take off his socks for PE he has to put on a clean pair afterwards because the used socks will have been stretched out of shape when he took them off so they won't fit properly. School had many tantrums about this resulting in him even being abusive and throwing his shoes at the TA. They didn't tell me any of that. As soon as I asked them if he had an 'sock related difficulties in school' it all came out.

Socks have to be snug fitting and pulled up.

I generally found it was trial and error when buying them. I always tried to find ones that were seamless if possible, or with small seams and especially not ones where the seam ran down the side of the little toe, and I would test how they felt by brushing the seam along my lips, (as your mouth is one of the most sensitive areas on the body). If it feels uncomfortable, hard, stratchy, then that is how it might feel on your child's feet.

It is also common that children with these types of difficulties don't habituate to them. So unlike us, when we put on a piece of clothing (or hear a noise etc) even if it feels a little uncomfortable at first we get used to it after a couple of seconds. They don't. If it feels bad it feels like that for the whole day and drives them nuts.

I must have looked like a really odd woman in the sock department running fabric along my lips!

I also used to massage the feet a bit after I had put the socks on. This was quite firm pressure, not tickling.

I also allowed plenty of time to get it right ie. not put the socks and shoes on just before leaving for school because they know that the socks might irritate them and the anxiety of it can cause problems on its own.

I would put socks and shoes on straight away before he even had breakfast.

Hi

I sat my son down and asked him what was wrong with all the socks he was discarding over his bedroom

Apparently they were too itchy, too spickey or hurt him when he walked

So now, I buy plain seemless socks. He quite likes the ones from Next with the colour block toes and heels as the seems are higher up the feet if that make sense.

Rachey

Hi

I have had the same problem with OJ for as long as I can remember and funnily enough he is ok with Next socks. But his feet have suddenly grown and I have now had to buy the next size up - which may cause some new problems!

I also did a really silly thing - I bought a pack of 7 pairs with the days of the week on them. When OJ saw them he was really excited about starting wearing them on Monday. When I asked why Monday he told me that was the first day of the week - well I have realised he is going to need to wear the correct socks on each day and this will increase all the rituals and take more time each morning trying to find the right ones and what will happen if one pair don't feel right, he won't be able to wear a different pair!!!!!

Stella x

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I will have a look in Next at their socks see if they are soft. I had a look on the internet and couldn't find a UK site that did kids seamless socks- they all seem to be adults.

I have ordered a pair of these to try http://www.toesocks.co.uk/ I guess he will either love them or hate them :whistle:

I think the problem is with them not being fitted enough (after washing) as he pulls them up as far as they will go but it still isn't enough. Also the seams not fitting his foot shape well enough after wearing them once.

LOL at the days of the week socks, I will remember not to do that, DS would not be happy with Monday socks on a Friday, although if I could be dedicated enough to always get it right he would probably love some :lol:

S x

Could you take him shopping and let him choose his own socks? My son (also ADHD) used to HATE clothes and new clothes were hidious for him so I had to wash them with loads of fabic conditioner before he would wear them and even then I had to hide his older clothes for a while so he had no choice but to wear the new ones! BUT now I take him shopping and let him chose what he wants, we go to Primark and their boys clothes have a label with Rebel on it which DS thinks is cool becuase he is a bit of a rebel and he will wear anything from that shop now. I though it may be worth a try for you.

The main problem we had was that he uses to destroy his socks very quickly at school, he would sit and painstakingly pick any writing out and unpick all the tops so they had bits hanging off them. The TA used to encourage him to sit with his hands together on the top of the desk to stop him destroying everything when he had to sit still! He also had to have his shoes done up so tight it must have almost cut off the circulation to his feet!

Its nice to hear that his meds are working, its like a strange wave of calm coming over the house isn't it - my son started Concerta XL a few months ago and he's getting happier by the day since taking it. Good luck.

Edited by Sooze2

Could you take him shopping and let him choose his own socks? My son (also ADHD) used to HATE clothes and new clothes were hidious for him so I had to wash them with loads of fabic conditioner before he would wear them and even then I had to hide his older clothes for a while so he had no choice but to wear the new ones! BUT now I take him shopping and let him chose what he wants, we go to Primark and their boys clothes have a label with Rebel on it which DS thinks is cool becuase he is a bit of a rebel and he will wear anything from that shop now. I though it may be worth a try for you.

The main problem we had was that he uses to destroy his socks very quickly at school, he would sit and painstakingly pick any writing out and unpick all the tops so they had bits hanging off them. The TA used to encourage him to sit with his hands together on the top of the desk to stop him destroying everything when he had to sit still! He also had to have his shoes done up so tight it must have almost cut off the circulation to his feet!

Its nice to hear that his meds are working, its like a strange wave of calm coming over the house isn't it - my son started Concerta XL a few months ago and he's getting happier by the day since taking it. Good luck.

Still not sure I could bear to take him shopping yet ;) Perhaps in a year or too!

You are right about the wave of calm, everyones stress levels have decreased by about half now, I think the other kids are relieved too. A couple of times he has missed a dose (by that I mean pretended to take it then spat it out) and the difference is shocking- makes me wonder how I have survived the last few years without a nervous breakdown!

S x

[

My 11 year old has terrible problems with any seams in socks. We have to order seamless socks from America. We have to order the ones like you wear for sports (that don't show above the pump) as there are seams in the ones that come further up the leg and this drives him nuts.

We tried different types, patterns etc but nothing worked. Even seamless socks with two different colours do not work as there is a seam with the diffent colour that my child can feel!!!!

So we keep ordering plain white socks from tootsies and have a pieceful day.

TootsiesStrideRite.com/Socks

SEAMLESS NO-SHOW SOCKS

"Seamless" Socks" End Mornings of Frustration

No-show comfort seam cotton socks by Stride Rite with a "kid friendly" comfort seam toe in 3 pairs per package. Comfort seam or seamless socks have a hand-link stitch over the toes of the sock which flattens out when put on, and therefore will eliminate the challenge of your child putting on their socks.

save money and have him go around in his bare feet! lol

Guest featherways

Ah yes, the sock peril! Also related to the Shoe Nightmare and the 'Eek - New Trousers!' dilemma.

I'm a mum with Asperger syndrome, and sensory problems are a really, really big thing for me. It's so hard to explain how simple textures and pressures can hurt as much as someone punching me, but they do, and my brain simply won't switch it off.

I'm guessing that when you put on a pair of uncomfortable socks, your brain can stop thinking about it after a few seconds. Not mine. It can feel those socks all day, relentlessly, like walking on sandpaper or having your feet in a vice.

Definitely good advice from the others about the sock types etc. Trial and error. Takes me ages to build up the courage to go near new clothing or shoes of any kind - has to be same sort of soft materials that don't put pressure on me if I can avoid it.

I too have some sensory issues although I am not on the spectrum. And what you say needs reinforcing I think. When someone has sensory issues and something is bothering them, other people without sensory issues try to understand how 'seams in a sock' might feel to them and be uncomfortable. But it is a totally different sensation we are feeling. For example, I have a huge problem with fabrics, things like lace, elastic, tags etc. If I put on a T-shirt and I have forgot to take out the tag it begins by feeling like a rough piece of sandpaper, but after about 30 seconds it is feeling like thorns being pushed into my side. I have ripped them out with my teeth before due to sheer frustration. And you do not get used to the feeling. You cannot tolerate it and get used to it. If anything the longer it is there the more painful it gets.

I also used to have problems with socks. But I know what to look for now.

There are also huge problems in changing clothes that are going to put pressure points on different parts of the body from the ones you usually wear. So changing from summer to winter type clothes can be difficult too

And I would have thought that if you have sensory issues with clothes/fabrics, tags and seams and you will probably have problems with hair cutting/washing/combing/styling and nail clipping etc.

I have my hair cut short and I finger comb it.

So changing from summer to winter type clothes can be difficult too

I don't - I wear the same clothes year round. :rolleyes:

yes my son wears the same clothes summer and winter. If he could he would walk round without socks and shoes.

Hair cutting is difficult but he chews chewing gum during the experience and this allows him to sit still. But the hairdresser needs to be quick and cut his hair short. Using the shaver for trimming hair was a definate no, the sound caused to much distress.

My son will only only wear certain clothes and these have to be with as few seams as possible. They also have to be washed three times before he will wear them. All labels have to be removed.

Sally is right when there is something annoying my son can not block this out and it takes over his whole concentration hence he can not concentrate on any thing else.

Also he overheats very easy which is why he does not need jumpers in the winter. He does love the snow and holding it, walking in it etc. It must dampen down his sensory experience.

Guest featherways

Lynne, yes, I'd agree with what you say about us not being able to block things out. Temple Grandin's just done a speech at a conference where she likens it to this: Supposing you went into a room, and someone had just released a set of cobra snakes in there. How much would you be able to concentrate on the presentation? You'd be looking round for those snakes the whole time. So it is with us. Sensory distractions are often a huge problem, and we might spend our time trying to identify them and deal with them, not listening to what people are saying.

I'm also useless at working out if I'm too hot. It just doesn't register.