Sign in to follow this  
Tally

AAARRRGH!!!

I moved back to my parents' house on Thursday and my mum is doing my head in already.

She thinks that I don't actually have ME, but that I just lack motivation, and use sleep as an excuse to avoid spending time with people. She thinks that taking a few weeks off before I look for jobs is going to be bad because I need the structure of work otherwise I will sleep too much. She wants to take me on a long cycle ride today because she thinks it will be good for me . . . no, it will make me even more tired! Yes, I am sleeping a lot at the moment, but I HAVE JUST MOVED HOUSE, which was physically tiring and stressful. The weather is also very hot, which makes anyone tired.

I have been getting up at about 9am since Sunday. She started work early on Monday and Tuesday, so I lied and told her I got up at 8 those days. Today I was awake but still in bed at about 8.30. She was outside calling me. I got up and was running between the two windows trying to work out which one she was shouting through, but I couldn't see her. I shouted back, but she just kept calling my name. Then I heard her drive off and was relieved I could go back to bed for an hour or so. Five minutes later the phone rang and it was her just making sure I was awake! Yes of course I'm flippin' awake . . . the question is, WHY DO I NEED TO BE?

It's not like I haven't been doing anything. I have written letters informing people of my new address, been into town to tell the bank, etc, hung her laundry out, done my own laundry and hung it out, cooked dinner for me and my dad twice and cleaned up afterwards, run a few errands for my mum, unpacked and tidied my own possessions in my new room. I have fed her cat even though it hisses and attacks me.

I don't know how to convince her that she can trust me to know when and how long to sleep. I even end up doubting myself and making myself worse for days on end by following her advice instead of my own instincts.

Oh dear >:D<<'>

Could you sit down with your parents and write a list of 'house rules', e.g that you cook the evening meal x times a week, do your laundry, clean your room, etc...and then anything beyond those rules is down to you as you're an adult. So you can pace yourself when it comes to your ME and so on.

Good luck...hopefully it's just a few teething problems as you all settle into a new routine.

Bid >:D<<'>

Maybe you could try watching Feris Beuller's Day Off to get some ideas on how to fool her into thinking that you're ill and need sleep :wacko:

Just a thought ;)

((Tally))

sorry i have no ideas on how to help, it seems ur mum is obviously just trying to help you but doesn't understand what help u actually do need.

Everything's kind of up in the air at the moment because I don't know what my routine will be once I get a job, but I have always said that I plan to cook some meals and things, and have already been doing that. I don't think she thinks I'm lazy in terms of doing things around the house, I think she thinks I don't do enough things for myself like get enough exercise. When I lived here before I used to do a lot of cycling and work long hours, and I think she thinks that my tiredness is caused by stopping exercising when I moved out. It's just a coincidence that it started a few months after I moved out.

Today we went to the shops - my mum drove. Then later I walked into town (about a mile or so away) to pay in a cheque. That is plenty of exercise and fresh air for today!