Sign in to follow this  
dekaspace

Just had a massive argument with downstairs neighbour

At about 1.30am my downstairs neighbour knocked on my door screaming and shouting and constantly raising his fists and screaming that I am scum and I have kept him awake every night in over a week because I am up all night and sleep all day.

This is """" because nomally I go to bed around 3am so normally by the time I have had a wash etc its around 20 past 3, but on Monday and Tuesday night I admit I stayed awake till 4am one of those was because I was in the bedroom(which is carpeted) boxing up a plasma tv that I had bought that was smashed on arrival so that may of disturbed him. Another time was because I was literally too tired to go to bed and just sat playing a video game very slowly.

He mentioned that I am always moving furniture which is impossible since all I have in my living room is a TV on a stand so cant move it, and a sofa and just a wardrobe and bed in bedroom(place is almost bare)

This guy was ranting so loud that after he left my neighbour from the flat next to mine on the right came out and said he heard everything and it woke him up but backed me up because he said he never hears any noise from me and once or twice has taken post for me for safekeeping but doesnt knock because he hears nothing he doesnt know if im in!

I think it all comes down to the fact that the guy downstairs thinks I am up all night since im the most active around midnight-3am and sleep to lunchtime but then often go up town for 2-4 hours then come back and flake out on sofa which I think is why he thinks I am noisy since its a metal sofa bed and sometimes I sit on it wrong and it gives off a loud grating sound which he probably hears.

The main thing I am annoyed about is that he was so abusive, if he had told me each time it has happened I would of apologised and made sure I went out of my way to make no more noise that night.

I am so considerate that in the evenings I make sure I take off my shoes because I have a wooden floor in living room and know walking about would be noisy, and with them off they give off a very minor squeak.

I think this guy is just a complainer as my other neighbour said every day when the last tenant was here he was up at least 5 times complaining because the person listened to music, and the fact is he complained about me walking about and "moving furniture" not my tv or pc or talking to anyone.

It could be because he had a bad fall a few weeks back and has had to sign on the sick so is in a lot of pain and is taking it out on me as when my other neighbour came out after the one who shouted at me left he backed me up and said the guy was just a """" and to do what I want as he has never had any complaints with me, and the downstairs neighbour ran out(how he did that with a very bad back I dont know) but as soon as he saw the other neighbour he did mention that I was being """""""" noisy all the time but then went right back into his flat so I think he may just be bullying me because im a soft touch.

And going back to the main thing I am annoyed about is I have seen him in the garden before and he has not once mentioned this to me, if it bothered him so much why didnt he tell me!

It's such a tricky one, this, as it's often down to individual perception. I have a friend whose house would drive me utterly mad had I to live there more than a day. It's just sooooo noisy.....she has a few kids, many pets,the telly's never off and the stereo's in fierce competition with it.... Arrgh!!

I actually had two neighbours in a similar conflict, at my old place. In this case, the elderly complainant actually had a dreadful ear problem, and the noises she was hearing were due to that......

Have you considered getting advice regarding this? Your council should be able to assist, or the CAB....and I can't help but think if they see you making the first move, then they'll be less inclined to assume you're neighbour's in the right? IYKWIM?

Best of luck with this!

Esther x

The matterhas got worse, since it happened I have made a massive effort to make no noise, and as I say I never wear shoes in the house and in fact moved my tv into the bedroom(which is above his living room instead of leaving it in my living room which is above his bedroom) I started to go to bed around 1am each night, and LL came round to collect rent last week and I wasnt ready as the Housing Benefit hadnt cleared yet so went to bank and on my way downstiars he was talking to the downstairs neighbour and they looked at me and gave me evil glares.

I came back from bank(just across road) and LL was there and told me he has had a complaint about me as I have been having parties every night! Uh WTF I have never been to or held a party in my entire life(I cannot make friends) and have my tv on, not muted but on low as I hate it being too loud as it makes me want to faint.

Then I went away and came back today and was told the downstairs neighbour has made another complaint saying I have been crashing about every day this week which is impossible!

He hasnt made a single complaint about the new tenant next door to me who gets drunk every night and wakes me up, doesnt complain about the drunks shouting and singing in the streets which I can hear.

Also he finds it ok to use his washing machine at 6 or 7am and wake me up.

SO annoyed.

get in touch with your local council/environment dept. They deal with noise nuisance complaints. They will give your complaining neighbour a device which measures & records noise levels for a few weeks. TBH it has to be pretty loud to count as a nuisance, but anyway, it would prove you are not having parties etc.

I would follow kezT's advice to prove your innocence. It might also be a good idea to go to the Citizen's Advice Bureau to see if they have any other advice to offer you. You may even have grounds for a counter-complaint about this neighbour, considering he has made false allegations about you.

It would be a good idea to write to your landlord to explain the ridiculous lengths you are going to in order to avoid noise, and the outside agencies you have involved.

One thing worth noting, I don't think it's unreasonable for a person to use their washing machine in their own flat at any time. If this keeps you awake, then you probably have unusually sensitive hearing. It's extremely annoying, but not something you can justifiably complain about in my opinion. I would not mention this when you write to your landlord.

I would follow kezT's advice to prove your innocence. It might also be a good idea to go to the Citizen's Advice Bureau to see if they have any other advice to offer you. You may even have grounds for a counter-complaint about this neighbour, considering he has made false allegations about you.

It would be a good idea to write to your landlord to explain the ridiculous lengths you are going to in order to avoid noise, and the outside agencies you have involved.

One thing worth noting, I don't think it's unreasonable for a person to use their washing machine in their own flat at any time. If this keeps you awake, then you probably have unusually sensitive hearing. It's extremely annoying, but not something you can justifiably complain about in my opinion. I would not mention this when you write to your landlord.

It isnt the washing machine as much as the vibrations it makes, especially when on spin I do sleep through it but when the drum speeds up and rattles I hear it and it wakes me but I doze off seconds later so its disruptive sleep. I have had flats in the past where the neighbours have told me off for having washing on after 10pm, not starting then but it may take 90 minutes and I put it on say 8.50 so it wont finish till 10.20 but last time that happened was years ago.

I will be sleeping and then hear the floor rattle and thump.

I dont doubt that the neighbour hears noise its the amount of noise I think the person is just grumpy as was stold they suffer from a bad back due to a fall and have toothache! no excuse for being rude to me though.

Edited by dekaspace