hi all

Just thought i would give a qick intro to myself and my son, i'm hoping that you lovely people can help me and point me in the right direction as my head is spinning from all the info i've found on this condition.

My son is 7 1/2 currently still waiting for a diagnosis (been going on for nearly a year ) not sure how long these things are ment to take, we have had 2 appointments with CAMHS and they are now reffering us to several other people also not sure if this is a good or bad thing. i find that nothing is really explained to you, all you get is a lot of if but and maybe's. As a family our lives have been on hold for the past 5 years we struggle to go to any public place and find it very stressful trying to control my son in public this seems to be when he is at his worst. A couple of holidays have resulted in us coming home early.

My son is a very kind, loving and intelligent person, he is very lucky to have a very understanding school that have already offered him lots of help, they do however not understand all his needs which we find a constant battle. Socially my son has a really hard time is doesn't keep freinds easily and has been bullied on several occasions. although his teachers say he is way ahead of most children in his year is has nothing to show for it has it doesn't manage to get anything down on paper. He loves maths and anything to do with numbers, his seems to obsess over certain interrests and these interrests last at most for a couple of years then he will replace one with another.

there is so many things that i could right here the whole thing seems to have taken over ours lives at the moment, one of our main concerns at the minute is how other people react to him, i have found relationships with freinds very strained at the minute as they don't understand what we are dealing with. At a party the other day my son hurt another littke boy who was younger than him, he mistook a play fight for the real thing, the boys mum was very rude and didn't seem to want to except his appologie, she didn't understand why he acted the way he did.

i would love to hear from anyone who could offer any advice or anyone going through the same problems at the moment.

sorry to go on

becky

Hi Becky and welcome :)

I can relate to the feeling of your life being taken over.

My son was a late dx so I've never had to explain to other parents - having my own problems at the moment dealing with telling immediate family members :wallbash: . I am sure someone will be along soon to share their story or offer advice.

Take care >:D<<'>

Hi Beckyanne! nice to meet you.

Like you, so many times I have endured judgemental and insensitive comments from others about my boy/s.

It can be very hard and exhausting feeling like you have to explain the responses of your kid to others - I often feel that way, but really, when I look at what's going on, it's all based on someone elses perception of what's normal behaviour and really, what right do they have to dictate what is ok and what is not? What might be ok for their kids might be totally impossible for ours.

When I'm really feeling bad about things, I take myself off with my boy and cuddle up and read a book with him. That always reminds me of how lovely he is and how blessed I am to be his mum.

Beckyjen, apologies I mispelt your name in my previous post! Won't forget again - promise!!

lol thats fine :D

will keep your advice in mind mosey, i totally agree with what you say but i suppose the main thing is that our kids have a loving caring family.

it certainly sounds like your boy are well loved >:D<<'>

take care x