Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

Care worker question

My son goes out with care workers 5 days a week, social services pay the firm to take him out 3 hours at a time as he isn't in a school.. the downside is they take him to places we can't afford and buy him dinner, on some days it's £10 a day and we can't afford it. I have said to them numerous time I can't afford it, but when I don't have change they plough through the money..

Someone told me that we don't have to pay for this.. is this true?

in theory it should be put into expenses by the care worker, but probably its a case of the person is going for the easiest option because you're paying, and if they were actually putting in claims they'd be told to go to cheaper/free places. we have someone who takes our new foster placement out once a week, and that should be free, but we're actually paying entrance fees for both because the person has overclaimed on their expenses and can't claim for it. for us, we'll pay the money for the 2 hours rest, but its obviously a very different situation for you. you could always say when he is picked up that you cannot afford to pay for anything, so he will have to do something free and has got a packed lunch. then if they come back and say 'it was X amount' you can say no, i said free, so i'm not going to pay. the worst they'll do is complain to their boss who will then talk to you and explain the situation

Are they providing receipts for these meals out, etc? Are you paying for the care worker's lunch as well as your son's? I think I'd be asking for a list of appropriate activities to be drawn up, and then insist on them using the list to make a timetable of activities for the week, so you can be sure your son's getting a range of experiences. I don't think it's appropriate for him to be going out to lunch all the time!

They do supply receipts and they pay for their own meals.. I think they take him to lunch as it's close to lunchtime and it takes up the time (3 hours).. I'll just give them £3 today as that will just pay for the swimming.

if its in lieu of education it should all be free, considering education is free... i would speak to the social worker who arranged it (not an easy task i know!)