Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

Quick question

Yep. Absolutely. :D

I thought the statement was there to tell the school what to do. You tell them, they don't tell you. Just found this out last week.

Edited by Sooze2

And the overall responsibility for making sure the child gets what's written in it, rests with the LEA.

K x

You're never going to know what a school does and does not do, though. Remember it will be impossible to micro-manage and don't sweat the small stuff.

I thought it was wrong, they sent us a statement and said "It was written for the school we want" :lol:

They really are a law unto themselves, you have to laugh!

The Statement is written for the child, as a child can move to another school.

All needs should be in section 2, how those needs are going to be met in section 3, with the school placement in section 4.

Everything should be itemised and details in terms of hours of support and staffing arrangements.

Any flexibility written into a Statement is for the benefit of the child and not the system. So if you are told that you cannot expect it to be specific because the school need flexibility that is illegal and not what the SEN Code of Practice says.

I believe the bit about any flexibility written into the statement is for the child and not the system is from the ISPEA website Case Law Section.

Having said that, there are certain 'words' that professionals tend to use that will suggest the type of school environment needed. It depends on the LEA policy is. For example if it says XXX needs a 'dedicated environment'.