Sign in to follow this  
Ambriel

Newly Diagnosed with Asperger's

Our youngest son, 9 yrs old next week, has just been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

This has been the culmination of several years involvement with health and education professionals trying to address various aspects of his behaviour and relationship with the world.

We live in a rather remote part of Britain and resources are few and afr between but we have been very pleased with the way his primary school teachers have supported him and managed his behaviour in class. Seriously, they've been brilliant.

He has been bullied by some of the other children in his school because of the way he reacts and behaves at times but I think this will improve next term when they understand more about his condition as they are already very understanding about another pupil with Down's Syndrome. We'll just have to wait and see.

I know we're at the bottom end of a very steep learning curve but as the song goes, the only way is up.

Welcome, Ambriel. :) Enjoy browsing the forum and please ask if you have any questions.

It's good to hear that your son has been well supported in school so far. Hopefully the teachers can help the other children to accept your son.

K x

Hello, and welcome. I am glad you are getting support from school, my 5 yr old son has a very good school too - his teacher is amazing. I'm sorry about the bullying but as you say, once the other children know more it might make it easier for them to understand.

Hope you find all the help and advice you need here.

Good luck