Tally

Buying a House

I'm putting in an offer on a house tomorrow. WIsh me luck!!! It's in a quiet little town on the Epsom Downs and the owner is in a hurry to sell.

Good luck Tally :pray:

It's in a quiet little town on the Epsom Downs and the owner is in a hurry to sell.

I used to live in that part of the world - very nice :thumbs:

We have offered the asking price and they have accepted, but it's possible someone could still come in with a higher offer. The owner had reduced the asking price for a quick sale and four people saw it before I did, so even though it has come off the market, one of them may still offer more.

It's about half-way between Tadworth and Tattenham Corner.

I am seeing the bank tomorrow, so hopefully they will let me have a mortgage!

Sounds hopeful :thumbs: :thumbs:

We have offered the asking price and they have accepted, but it's possible someone could still come in with a higher offer. The owner had reduced the asking price for a quick sale and four people saw it before I did, so even though it has come off the market, one of them may still offer more.

Is that what is referred to as gazumping? :unsure: Seems unfair if they have accepted your offer that they can then change their mind. :shame:

Yes that is gazumping. I have been advised that it is happening quite a lot with properties in my price bracket. We have insisted they take it off the market as a condition of the offer, so that would reduce the chances of it happening, but four people already saw it on Thursday so they already know about it. Someone had made an offer which was rejected, but anyone who was serious would know they need to get in quick and they haven't. It is unfair, and illegal in Scotland.

Yes that is gazumping. I have been advised that it is happening quite a lot with properties in my price bracket. We have insisted they take it off the market as a condition of the offer, so that would reduce the chances of it happening, but four people already saw it on Thursday so they already know about it. Someone had made an offer which was rejected, but anyone who was serious would know they need to get in quick and they haven't. It is unfair, and illegal in Scotland.

Yes, it is very frustrating, and I think once an offer is accepted, it should be binding. It happened to us when we were moving to Kent, the sellers accepted a higher offer after we had had a survey done :angry:

Mind you, a couple of years later, there was a HUGE flood in the village where the house was :o The place we ended up buying is nowhere near a flood area - I know it's not good to be smug but I can't help it :devil:

Fingers crossed for you Tally :pray:

Edited by NickyB

hope you get the house tally