Sign in to follow this  
baddad

You can't have your kayak and eat it...

Took son to the local park/boating lake this arvo. In the past we've always taken a pedallo/rowboat out together but he was keen to try solo canoing, so he went out on the water while i 'relaxed' under a tree listening to my MP3 player.

I was very proud of him as he paddled his way at a fair old pace to the centre of the lake, executed a sharp right hand turn and rolled his canoe over...

Fine pair of lungs that boys got - over all the crowd noise i heard him quite distinctly as the guy in the lifeboat hauled him aboard: 'Dad - i've lost my glasses!'

TBH I was really pleased that he decided to carry on and get back in despite being waterlogged and almost visionless (he has a very high prescription!), but found it even harder to relax for the remaining 25 minutes of his paddleathon.

When he finally docked we were both peeing ourselves laughing. I asked 'were you scared when you rolled over?' he said 'No. I was more scared about telling you I'd lost my specs!' :lol:

Ah well, just a teeny amount of petrol getting there - maybe 50p - and £3.50 for the canoe... it could have been a cheap day out if it wasn't for the £120 antiglare reactolites. :oops::wallbash:

Still, i suspect it's made some myopic pike's day... watch out sticklebacks - here I come!

(NB old joke i forgot to tell him at the time: what's the fastest fish in the lake? Motorpike and sidecarp.)

:D

over all the crowd noise i heard him quite distinctly as the guy in the lifeboat hauled him aboard: 'Dad - i've lost my glasses!'

Sensible lad - tell your dad at a great distance where he can't get to you that £120 of his hard earned cash is making its way towards the bottom of the lake :thumbs:

I suggest you get him to try scuba diving next so he can retrieve the specs. :DB)

Oh, and might I suggest you try string next time? :whistle:

Edited by Mumble

sounds like a fun day out! yeh ur meant to tie the specs on! didn't you know that???

Oh, and might I suggest you try string next time? :whistle:

Technically my bad! Last week he went raft building and rafting and he took his old specs then. Even though I knew he would be going boating today I forgot until we got there, and then I thought 'oh what are the chances...' erm... :lol: I think I actually said at one point 'if you fall in and lose your glasses...' :rolleyes:

We're about halfway through the year and the chances of him NOT needing a new scrip in 6 months are pretty slim. In the meantime we have the 'free' second non-reacto pair, another pair of reacto's that we acquired FOC under guarantee when they broke withing weeks of purchase (they couldn't get the same frames, so replaced with the now lost pair FOC and gave us some mismatched side-bars to effect another spare pair) and his previous scrip which he can wear at a pinch. Touch wood, that lot'll last us until the next scrip without any additional expense :pray:

Did make oi larf though - he's got really long hair at the mo and came out looking like a drowned rat!

Dont tell him i told you, but when we went out for a curry a couple of weeks ago the waiter said, 'thank you sir, thank you madam' as we left - That's how long his hair is! :lol: I've gotta say that as a boy he's quite good looking, but as a girl he's well fuggly!

:D