ilikelandrovers

Have I been denied a proper education?

Hello fellow members!

I've just left school (June 2009) after finally completing my G.C.S.E exams after 11 years of torment.

The Possibility of me having Aspergers Syndrome first showed its face back when I was 3, I wasn't developing enough in speach and walk.

It wasn't untill I joined my Comprehensive School things started getting bad as I felt like a social reject for the first time, bullying and classmate tormet followed in the next 5 years.

But I Wasnt Diagnosed untill 2007 (by a Proffesional). That gave me 3 years knowing I had Asperegers Syndrome.

During the 3 years after the result I had G.C.S.E's to look forward to. But I did not recieve any help from my School watsoever (Class helper)

Could of this affected my chances?

Firstly well done for getting to this stage of your education, despite a tough experience, and I hope you get the GCSE results you want.

It's difficult to say what might have happened with an earlier diagnosis - you might have got more help earlier on in your school career, but it doesn't always work out that way. Even with a diagnosis, the help isn't always readily available, it can all depend on funding and also on how enlightened individual schools and teachers are.

I hope you'll be able to put your bad school experiences behind you and move on to the next goal in your life - do you know what you'd like to do next year?

K x

Hello, and welcome to the forum,

It's very difficult to know how things might have turned out if your circumstances had been different. Sometimes communication can be poor in schools and some teachers might not even have known you had AS. Perhaps your parents didn't have the right support and didn't know how to access the right support for you in school. Maybe the school were resistant to providing it.

I have heard that college is a much better experience than school. I don't know if you are considering further education of any sort. If you are then you need to think about what was particularly difficult at school and ask the college to provide support or adaptions to help in those situations.

I think I saw something along similar lines on the IPSEA website about someone who went to court because they believed the LEA had not met their needs and therefore they had not made the progress they felt they could have done. However, that is a long and difficult road to start going down and there are no guarantees of getting anything out of it. It is much better to concentrate on the present and future.

And well done for surviving the system with little input from anyone.

Hello fellow members!

I've just left school (June 2009) after finally completing my G.C.S.E exams after 11 years of torment.

The Possibility of me having Aspergers Syndrome first showed its face back when I was 3, I wasn't developing enough in speach and walk.

It wasn't untill I joined my Comprehensive School things started getting bad as I felt like a social reject for the first time, bullying and classmate tormet followed in the next 5 years.

But I Wasnt Diagnosed untill 2007 (by a Proffesional). That gave me 3 years knowing I had Asperegers Syndrome.

During the 3 years after the result I had G.C.S.E's to look forward to. But I did not recieve any help from my School watsoever (Class helper)

Could of this affected my chances?

i can understand where you are coming from here. Problems with speech were detected at age 3 (they knew it was overly formal). i didnt get diagnosed until i was 16 with aspergers. This was after my GCSEs.

What would you like to happen as a result of this?

Would you like to prevent other kids from going through a similar experience?

Would you like to increase the awareness of autism/aspergers in your area?

Have you considered joining an autistic action group?

i ask because i joined the steering committee for my area to help educate others about autism/aspergers. Also so i can be asked about what me

or my autistic friends might think of certain changes. i also do talks and sign petitions such as the "make schools make sense campaign".

i hope you can do with your experiences what i have done with mine and try and educate others so they are not let down like you are.

good luck

Alexis