Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Statement review

Hi, this post is a little early as the review not till December but it is already on my mind and wondered if anyone could advise....

Ds moved schools in Feb and since the move things have been perfect! He has a 15hrs statement which the new school take very seriously and I have NO cause for complaint or concern and would go as far as to say the school have given me my life back! It is wonderful not to worry and complain all the time! :notworthy: I feel very confident that they understand ds and take amazing care of him.

He of course has his difficulties but these are planned for and managed very very well(can you tell I love his teachers!)

This will be his second review, the first was just a couple of months after he got statement at old school and everything stayed the same.

I know ds is doing so well due to the fantastic support he recieves and due to the hours the school have in which to give him that support, however I am worried that the support will be reduced as he is doing so well.

I want to be very positive about his progress and the school at his review but will this mean his hours may reduce?

I would not be able to say he is struggling as I think "be carefull what you wish for"

The education officer is very nice, although we locked horns in the early stages of ds statement, he seems very fair.

will it have a negative affect on ds statement if I can say it seems perfect and really works?

reading this back it sounds a little crazy, but I have heard if a child does well the statement may be reduced

thanks for any replies

I woud just make sure that you say "becasue of the support he has, he has done very well" - each time mentioning how the help/support is enabling him to cope. Give a few examples of where things have gone wrong without the right help if you can.

I know exactly what you mean. My first review isn't until January next year. And my son is making progress in his new placement due to the fact that his Statement is so tight. And i'm thinking along the lines as recommended ie. to go through his Statement and note all the provision he has and how that has helped him to cope and to make progress.

Are you expecting any updated reports from anyone within the LEA ie. SALT/Ed Psych/OT etc?

Agree with Kazzen. Note any times between now and Dec where things are disrupted because the support isn't there due to illness, etc., you can then highlight these.

Remember the LA cannot amend the statement without giving you the right of appeal, so you have the security of knowing that if they do try anything after review, you can fight it all the way to tribunal.

So good to hear he's doing well, though! :thumbs:

K x

Thank you for the advice.

and thank you kathryn for being pleased ds is doing well. I can honestly say the new school is like a drop of heavan! they love ds and he is doing so well that I had to hold myself back from hugging his teacher at parents evening!!!!!! :notworthy::notworthy:

It just goes to show that schools differ so much where special needs are concerned and having lost all faith in the education system it was fully restored within days of ds starting his new school.

I think that the school will probably fight to keep ds hours but have decided to ask to meet with them prior to the review, so I can hear any negatives they might have to raise in advance.

It feels strange as at the last school things were so awful that I had alot to say and now I have nothing to do with school other than" Good morning" and " thankyou, see you tomorow" :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Thank you for the advice.

and thank you kathryn for being pleased ds is doing well. I can honestly say the new school is like a drop of heavan! they love ds and he is doing so well that I had to hold myself back from hugging his teacher at parents evening!!!!!! :notworthy::notworthy:

It just goes to show that schools differ so much where special needs are concerned and having lost all faith in the education system it was fully restored within days of ds starting his new school.

I think that the school will probably fight to keep ds hours but have decided to ask to meet with them prior to the review, so I can hear any negatives they might have to raise in advance.

It feels strange as at the last school things were so awful that I had alot to say and now I have nothing to do with school other than" Good morning" and " thankyou, see you tomorow" :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Your post has given me a vision of you holding onto the teachers leg as he tries to get away!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And having moved my own son to a school that actually had experience in ASDs and actually understood what I was talking about - instead of blank faces - it is such a huge weight off your shoulders isn't it.