Sign in to follow this  
LordGorse

ODD

I received a friend request on Facebook the other day from a girl who totally ignored me throughout our school years; we never exchanged so much as a simple "hello" and suddenly she wants to be friends. We left school in 1994!!! What is this all about?!?

Has anyone else had odd requests like this?

I received a friend request on Facebook the other day from a girl who totally ignored me throughout our school years; we never exchanged so much as a simple "hello" and suddenly she wants to be friends. We left school in 1994!!! What is this all about?!?

Has anyone else had odd requests like this?

It's about the definition of 'friend' on social networking sites such as Facebook and the assumed need to amass a huge number of friends. Read 'friend' as 'acquaintance' or even as 'someone I vaguely know'. This is likely to be much more about the other person wanting to improve their friend stats then anything about true friendship. Or maybe I'm just being cynical? :unsure:

I don't think you're being cynical (not that there's anything wrong with that--it's my middle name!). You're probably right. Or maybe she just felt sorry for me--I have a grand total of one friend on Facebook :D A real friend, that is, not a statistic.

Edited by LordGorse

maybe she has changed since school and wants to say hi and see how u are?

I had a friend request from my ex-husband (it wasn't an amicable break-up) and an old school friend who I eventualy fell out with - she contacted me again a couple of years ago and we exchanged a few emails before falling out for a second time! All I can think is she must be pretty desperate for friends.

I don't think you're being cynical (not that there's anything wrong with that--it's my middle name!). You're probably right. Or maybe she just felt sorry for me--I have a grand total of one friend on Facebook :D A real friend, that is, not a statistic.

Who was it LordGorse? It's better to have 1 real true friend than countless digital lines of text convincing your 'part' of something. These digital echoes are just that, feedback from other lives we try to fill the hole with.

maybe she has changed since school and wants to say hi and see how u are?

Problem is I wouldn't know--we never knew each other in school...

I had a friend request from my ex-husband (it wasn't an amicable break-up) and an old school friend who I eventualy fell out with - she contacted me again a couple of years ago and we exchanged a few emails before falling out for a second time! All I can think is she must be pretty desperate for friends.

Woa--scary!

Good thing I don't have any ex-husbands... ;)

Maybe your old school friend enjoys falling out with you?!?!

Who was it LordGorse? It's better to have 1 real true friend than countless digital lines of text convincing your 'part' of something. These digital echoes are just that, feedback from other lives we try to fill the hole with.

It was Vicky something-or-other (married, changed her name). I ignored the request--can't be bothered making new friends. Don't need them, don't want them.

Joose, you have a fare few "digital echoes"... :whistle:

I agree with Mumble. There appears to be a pressure to amass as many friends as possible on Facebook, so that one appears to be really popular. Of course it also might be curiosity, or this person feels a need to brag to as many people as possible about how well she is doing since leaving school etc.

When I first went on facebook I had requests for friendship from complete strangers. I really thought they need to get a life and closed my account down. I opened it later and increased my privacy settings. It's much better this time round.

I might only have 15 "friends" but at least I know them and like them !

i get this a lot with people i went to school with. i think its probably a genuine interest, even if only a passing one. while i wasn't popular by any stretch of the imagination i was very well known and generally liked. just because you dont really know her doesn't mean she didn't ever notice you! people llike to catch up in general (plus lots of friends is handy for some applications)

I think it depends,I would not keep someone as a "friend" on facebool if this person was just nasty or who made me life hell,but if it was just a case of not talking much to the persson I would,the world does become smaller when we get older and its nice to feel a connection to the past(my feeling)I like to see how people are doing its nice to see that most of the people I went to school with are happy and living good lives.For me this is more so because I where I grew up is pretty much on the other side of the world.People who were not friends at school can often be great friends as adults and maybe even more than friends sometimes...Again like someone else mentioned this person could be doing it for their own selfish reasons adding one more virtual friend to their list!

She's at it again!! :angry: