Sign in to follow this  
skye

MDA- Diagnosis Time

Well after almost a year long journey The Multi Disiplinary Assessment meeting is here. September 9th! I am really nervous and I hope everything goes for the best. I am really worried about whether any of the professionals have actually spent enough time with DD for diagnosis. My main issue about the diagnosis is that in my area the ASD team will not discuss any problems or offer any support until diagnosis has been made. They did not send anyone into the school last year which made everything for us and DD a complete nightmare. I just really hope that they can make a desicion on the 9th and that we can start getting some much needed understanding and support. Fingers crossed for the best result! :unsure:

Hi skye, i know this is a very nervous time for you, my eldest son is seeing the multi disciplinary team at the end of this month too. I've been here a couple of times with my other children and it is always nerve racking. The teams i have had dealings with have always been very professional and kind, so i am sure it will be fine! Thinking of you on the 9th. Maria x :-)

Hi, Everyone and thanks for the ongoing support. Just to let everyone know DD was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I believe in Calderdale, or as it was explained to me, they do not diagnose Asperger's Syndrome. When I asked about Asperger's I was told that alot of my daughter's behaviour could be researched into by reading about Aspergers. As far as they were concerned she was high functioning Autism Spectrum. They have already forwarded the documents to the ASD unit. SO, supposedly support is on the way. I am going to have a nap!!

Hi, Everyone and thanks for the ongoing support. Just to let everyone know DD was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. I believe in Calderdale, or as it was explained to me, they do not diagnose Asperger's Syndrome. When I asked about Asperger's I was told that alot of my daughter's behaviour could be researched into by reading about Aspergers. As far as they were concerned she was high functioning Autism Spectrum. They have already forwarded the documents to the ASD unit. SO, supposedly support is on the way. I am going to have a nap!!

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Take care it is a mixed up time on obtaining a diagnosis.

I think that in some areas there is a trend to use ASD as a diagnosis rather than AS.Some professionals think that the AS label is confusing.In practice there is little difference between advice re HFA and AS so if you read up on AS I don't think you will go far wrong.Karen.

Thanks Karen,

Yeah I somewhat understood what he was saying about that. I have read just about everything going already! haha Well, I did have a year to figure it out. Finally that part is over. I just need to figure out, what now?? Thanks for all the support on the forum! Skye

Hi Skye,

Just found this topic!

G has also been DX with ASD today...yes, it was the same team.

You've just explained what's been puzzling me all day, which is why he skirted around the issue of AS when I asked about this-they all looked at each other and sort of giggled, and he said they'd spent rather a long time talking about ASD/AS, but they were sticking with ASD.

We've been doing this for a year now too. I keep wondering what's changed today??? What have I been waiting for? :tearful: