Willow's Mum

New to the forum

Hi everyone, I'm Piper the mother of a newly diagnosed 2 year old girl with autism. I've been reading lots of literature on the subject and as some of the books describe I feel lost at sea. I feel a great loss for the child I thought I would have, that's not to say I don't love and adore what I have Willow is happy and energetic and shows love in her own way. I'm not trying to whinge I am pretty sure these are fairly normal feelings because I've read about it in more than one text. I've started a CFGF diet starting with dairy elimination first and Willow's babble and eye contact has increased I'm working on gluten free but those sneakhy ingredients get in here and there but we're doing well on that so far. I am curious about enzymes and I know there are other forums for that but I'm just hoping someone can reccomend a road map in enzyme/ suppliment treatments fact from fraud. Thanks guys

Piper

Hi Piper and welcome to the forum :) .

I think many people here will identify with your feelings after diagnosis. The positive thing is that with a child so young, you're in a good position to put maximum support in place to help her.

Digestion, supplements etc. are not an area I know much about personally, but plently of people here do. Feel free to pop over to the medication section and ask your specific question there.

K x

Hi Piper - welcome to the forum. :D

Can totally understand your feelings post dx - it is a strange time: go easy on yourself.

Sounds like you're off to a good start with Dairy Free :thumbs: Congratulations.

Did you just 'go for it' or get a urine test done via Sunderland? If the latter, and the results came back indicating problems it's worth getting a few blood tests done on the basis of those results to check there's nothing else going on :)

As far as enzymes/supplements go there used to be a pinned topic in 'diet and medication' with a handy NAS 'checklist' of alternative therapies and associated research data, but it seems to have disappeared. You could try looking at the NAS site, or if i find a copy of it later i'll post it again.

My own (son's) experience of casein/gluten sensitivity is reflected in many posts in the diet and med section, but in a nutshell: Yes it has been very helpful for him, but (IMO) some of the info from the most well known source regarding 'trace amounts' is a little overstated. I'm not saying it can't be right for some kids, but it's not the case for my son and (IMO) the logic behind it is somewhat flawed.

L&P

BD :D