Sign in to follow this  
KarenT

How do you help with writing about opinions?

Jis nearly 11 with AS, and has been home educated since last October.

He's very bright and knowledgeable but has always struggled with output. He isn't comfortable with handwriting (though that's improving since he's been HE'd) but I'm struggling to get anything from him where personal opinion is concerned. For example, questions like "Choose a Tudor monarch and say why you like them" - he just doesn't seem able to express any thought on such things. Also, "Think of six questions you would ask X" leaves him cold - he's quite content with how much he's found out and has no interest in asking for more, so doesn't see the point in asking.

Subjects such as maths and science are far easier for him, I think it's because the answers are definite, either right or wrong, but with literacy etc there's margin for personal opinion and flexibility. He can't cope with that, and is afraid of getting it wrong.

In my day comprehension was much more straightforward - you read the question and scanned the text for the answer, and it was clear to identify - but nowadays there always seems to be an emotional slant to the question, eg "Why do you think such-and-such happened?", or "How would you feel if...", which is not very AS friendly.

Does anyone have any tips for developing his ability to answer questions like this and getting something on to paper?

For the record, he had the same problems in school but they were skirted around and never addressed, he never had classroom support and pretty much muddled through (which is partly why we're home edding now).

All views gratefully received .

Karen

x

Hi Karen, I would start by sticking to subjects about which he has very strong views, then ask him to exlain these views...maybe by playing 'devil's advocate', and challenging his ideas so he has to convince you.

Funnily enough, I was planning a guided reading staff training session today, and using these. They are for teachers, so may have a bit of jargon, but they have some really good ideas that you could adapt.

Strategies to develop comprehension during guided reading

http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrateg...edReading11.pdf

Assessment focus question keys

http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrateg...category_id=108

With the question keys, click on each assessment focus....these are what you're saying have changed from your school days when you did 'comprehension'. The Assessment foci simply categorise each type of question, so the child can be taught specifically how to answer each type.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Mum of 3 :thumbs: , I've printed those pages off to look at later. I believe this is something that can be helped by SALT too, and we're investigating a therapist now for more advice.

Karen

x

hi, my son sounds very similiar to yours, he is now nearly 15, he has been home ed for 3 years. We tried structured learning, but later changed to autonomous, as this is how my son learns best. trying to force him to study things that didnt interest him, had no benefits to him at all, as he never retained any of it.

Why do you need you son to write things down that he has learnt? is it to show a inspector? We have no written work at all, but that doesnt mean our son isnt learning. He learns things for his own enjoyment, and it stays put in his mind. He doesnt need to show that he knows things. My son really has problems with handwriting, so he uses a laptop if he ever wants to write, but most of his writing is done on the internet, online games, searching for things that take his interest. Our educational psychologist said that if it stresses him so much, then type!

I hope that you are able to find a way forward that works for you and your son!

best of luck

Despite offering the above resources, I have to say that my initial reaction was similar to Sarina's-that it isn't necessary to write everything down...discussion is just as valid, and can ellicit a fuller response, as the child isn't also having to consider the mechanics of writing.

There is, however, alot to be said for encouraging your son to write whenever he can, for real purposes if possible, so he sees a reason for it. Writing little and often will give him the practice he needs to make it a 'natural' thing to write. Whereas I agree that children should be allowed to use a keyboard if they struggle with handwriting, I also know that, in our society, being able to write is still seen as an important skill, and I feel that if our children struggle to handwrite, and this is not addressed as children, they will be at a disadvantage as adults.

Home Education can take any form you like....that's the great benefit, that you 'go with the flow', and allow the child to set the pace, with the learning coming in alongside the enjoyment of interests.

Having said which, I think it's important to ensure you've got a few tricks up your sleeve, and that you know what sorts of things other children are learning in schools and some strategies for teaching them in interesting ways, so that when the opportunities to earn present themselves you don't miss out due to not knowing what to do or how to do it.

So, if your son enjoys reading, or being read to, and you have knowledge of the Assessment focussses (foci?), then you're better placed to support him.You'll also be able to push his learning on by asking some more challenging questions, which will also give him experience of higher order thinking, which he might not use if left to his own devices.

I think it's important to remember that, although Home Education doesn't have to be 'school at home', we have a responsibility to ensure that our children grow up able and ready to take their place in society, whatever that may be. A little bit of challenge and push never did anyone any harm, and the rise in the self-esteem of a child who is challenged, and rises to that challenge is a great thing to observe.

:)

Hi. Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you, it's been a hectic few days. Thanks for your comments, both are much appreciated :thumbs: .

While I agree that it's not necessary to write everything down to demonstrate learning, it's still true to say that this is the method that inspectors will use to determine whether 'suitable' education' is taking place. As we know, this is a bit of a hot potato at the moment and I feel I have to bear it in mind. When J was deregistered there was little formal acknowledgement of the extent of his difficulties (on paper at least), though they were clearly mounting. He's had very little support while at school and none whatsoever in the classroom (we removed him before they became too evident), no Ed Psych involved (it's a very long story of avoidance and delay, even neglect), statutory assessment repeatedly refused. He was expected to achieve highly in KS2 SATs which he would have taken next May had he still been in school, and I feel I have to demonstrate to the inspectors that he's still performing in that region when they next visit. Ok, I may appear over-anxious but I did have EWOs threaten me with child protection investigation merely for taking him out of school in the first place, so I feel I have to tread carefully with them.

That said, I'm not driven solely by the need to please the inspectors - far from it. My main focus is J's happiness and emotional state. However, much as I would love to believe that the world will accept J into its arms without formal qualifications I think it's unlikely, and at so me point he'll have to take exams and will have to be able to write reasonably well to do so. Also, the way questions are phrased these days, he'll have to develop an ability to express opinions and feelings, and understand abstracts. I'm not forcing him to write about things he doesn't know or isn't interested in (History in particular is a favourite subject), but I am aware from keeping a weather eye on the National Curriculum that this is the level of work he'd be given if he was still in school.

I actually believe that had J had the right support for his autism he'd have been able to keep pace with the curriculum requirements. I believe that he has the ability to develop the necessary skills but at this stage I'm not sure how to encourage him, which is why I asked for advice.

Sarina - yes, we use the computer for most written work now (he isn't keen on handwriting either!) but I also agree with Mum of 3 that handwriting is still seen as important in today's world. I encourage him to write about his special interests (stories, write-ups of activities etc) but I also want him to accept that as his education progresses he'll have to write about things that don't interest him much - he won't be able to pick and choose. I don't feel it's fair to him if I let him expect that life will always go his way, and he does have to learn flexibility.

As Mum of 3 says, I want J to have his place in society and I think there are certain skills I need to teach him in order for that to happen.

Thanks again for your viewpoints. Those links were very helpful and have given food for thought. Other comments have helped convince me that the way I'm doing things at present is probably the best way forward. Thanks for that reassurance :thumbs:

Karen

x

hi karen,

It sounds like you are a fantastic mum, and you are giving your son all the support he needs to progress in life. We all do things differently, and what works for our children and each childs needs are different.