Sign in to follow this  
BuntyB

First girlfriend

6 month's ago son said he wasn't interested in relationships. He struck up a friendship with a girl a few weeks later and they were joined at the hip. He told me they were just good friends. She acted like a PA for him, sorting out his money, getting him on the right buses, helping him pick out clothes etc. I was pleased he had someone his own age to hang out with but as they didn't want to date, I was worried he would get hurt when she moved on, so encouraged him to see other people too.

He took my advice and went to the pictures with a friend of my daughter's. However within days they were madly in love. I tried to talk to him about boy/girl relationships but he told me that he was just getting the hang of things and had no interest in anything going further. However, a day later it was clear it had. He tells me at 16 he's old enough to decide but I feel responsible, not only for him but for the girl. I'm not sure he understands the implications but he won't talk to me about it any further.

I had a word with the girl's mother and she says she's sure that nothing would go on that she didn't want to happen. Most people I've spoken to think it's no big deal but considering his level of social understanding I am worried. Am I overreacting?

I dont think youre over reacting on little bit.

My son is 15 and hasnt yet had a girlfreind,thankgod.its so difficult at this age as they enter young adulthood.hes aware of and wants to do normal teenage things and yet hes too immature in many ways to fully understand how the world ticks hes too trusting and niaeve.My son clams up when i try to chat about anything to do with certaine things and refuses to talk.

I think youve done right trying to talk to this girls mother what more can you do.To put it bluntly if say this young girl endded up pregnant you can guarantee theyd be pointing the finger at the irresponsable parent of the learning disabled lad who got her up the duff and wondering why shed allowed him out in the big wide world.Youve done youre best youve spoken to them theres nowt else you can do.

I dont envy you and im on the brink of all this myself.

To be honest I don't think many 16 year olds would think too deeply about the implications of entering into a sexual relationship even if they didn't have AS.

I don't think you're overreacting and it's natural to be worried - personally I think 16 is too young, but I'm not sure what more you can do than you've already done. The most important thing is to make sure they are being responsible about contraception and try and keep the channels of communication open. Not much you can do to prevent him doing what comes naturally, unless you lock him up!

K x

To be honest I don't think many 16 year olds would think too deeply about the implications of entering into a sexual relationship even if they didn't have AS.

I don't think you're overreacting and it's natural to be worried - personally I think 16 is too young, but I'm not sure what more you can do than you've already done. The most important thing is to make sure they are being responsible about contraception and try and keep the channels of communication open. Not much you can do to prevent him doing what comes naturally, unless you lock him up!

K x

:whistle::whistle::whistle: Not always the lads that need locking up.

When I was 19 I came across a lovely young man who was 20.I think I was the one taking the lead with what came naturally. :o:oops:

He went along with it though to some extent and the next 23 years is history. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Karen A