Sign in to follow this  
justine1

Assesment-what to expect

Hi everyone

My son has his first assesment on Friday,I am a little nervous,just wondered what to expect?Will the ask me questions?Watch him playing?I am also thinking should I take him back to school after as it starts at 9.30 and is about an hour and I need to fetch his brother from preschool at 12,I am not sure how he will be if he goes just for the afternoon as I have never done this of course as he likes routine I dont really know what to do?Sorry know these sound like silly questions thanks though.

Hi everyone

My son has his first assesment on Friday,I am a little nervous,just wondered what to expect?Will the ask me questions?Watch him playing?I am also thinking should I take him back to school after as it starts at 9.30 and is about an hour and I need to fetch his brother from preschool at 12,I am not sure how he will be if he goes just for the afternoon as I have never done this of course as he likes routine I dont really know what to do?Sorry know these sound like silly questions thanks though.

Hi Justine,

I have done this twice now but with children at different ages and it was different with both. My DS2 was 6 when he was dx and prior to this we spent almost 2 years visiting a paeditrician every 6 months, i eventually told my paeditrician that i wanted to see a clinical psychologist and at my next visit it was arranged. During my visits i was asked about our family history and my son had to have a blood test and urine sample to test for fragile x and a type of autism that can be identified in your urine. The appointments were a mix of questions and tests for my sons development which are carried out through play. I felt completely at ease though as the questions were things i already knew about my son and if i struggled they re-worded the question and gave examples.

My DD was completely different she was 10 and went to CAMHS and refused to speak to anyone, she lacks confidence and has very low self esteeme, so my DH and i answered all the questions while she sat and drew a picture for them. We visited them twice and the second time got a diagnosis. So really it depends on the age of your child plus what they are able to do personally. As my daughter was unable to communicate in this wasy she was not required to do the various tests. So i am not aware of what these tests involve, but will soon find out as my DS1 will be doing it in 2 weeks.

I never took my children back to school as they could not deal with that after a change in their day and my daughter needed alot of care and love after as she was feeling very low. So if you keep him at home it may ease some of the pressure for you.

You will be fine, i will be thinking of you on friday.

Maria x >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>

Hi Maria

Oh thank you so very much for your lovely kind words.You are so right I dont feel nervous in the sense that I do know what to say as far as his behaviour etc. but I always get nervous for everything!!!!!!

I was especially interested in your situation as you mention two have been assesed and your other child will be to,the reason why this interest me is I have been wondering about my third son as he seems to have a few traits of AS but I am not sure as he is three now so cant really tell how he does at school etc. and I do sometimes think he has picked up his behaviour from his older brother.It must be so hard for you to have to get the doctors to listen and get an assesment I really admire you as I was so reluctant to take my son to the GP even though I knew something was wrong.

Thanks again for your advice really appreciate it.

Justine