Sign in to follow this  
wallace&gromit

Cycling Proficiency

Our 8 year old son with Aspergers would like to do his cycling proficiency at school. I believe the course is usually run by parents. We have only told close friends and family and people on a need-to-know basis i.e. teachers etc, about his Aspergers. I am wondering whether the parents taking the course would be told about his Aspergers as I have been trying to avoid it being spread like wildfire gossip. I have heard some of the Mums talking about other children with disabilities and it's not pleasant, they can be very unkind and judgemental. We have made a conscious decision to only tell those that really need to know as he is very high functioning. Just wondering if anyone has had experience of this?

If it was felt necessary by the school to tell the person running the course, that person would be under the same duty of confidentiality as every one else at the school be them volunteers or payed.

I would hope that they would respect your privacy wishes if that is what you wanted. I remember when my son took his test. He created a great storm by cycling up and down the road in front of the school with hands off the handle bars in the air and feet wide off the pedals. He had a one to one helper after that. He still passsed ....eventually