Sign in to follow this  
scotsguy80

having PhDs

just of curiosity if someone had a phd in pychology, pychiatry and all other realted fields if he or she developed a 'mental health disorder' that person from his or her knowledge could cover-up the condition I suppose

just of curiosity if someone had a phd in pychology, pychiatry and all other realted fields if he or she developed a 'mental health disorder' that person from his or her knowledge could cover-up the condition I suppose

Hi I think it is possible but the person could not keep up the "act" for long there will be signs of problems so it also depends on the people around him/her if they are close they would pick up on things,strangers may be fooled though.Many people regardless of having a Phd do try cover up mental health problems,for example many woman who suffer PND dont admit there is a problem sometimes 2 years after the child is born!!!

I think that many people are able to cover up mental disorders. In fact, believing you are not ill is actually a symptom of some mental disorders. I don't think it necessarily takes a PhD to do this, because it's not academic intelligence that allows you to hide your symptoms. It is to do with how you behave around other people that would enable you to hide symptoms of mental disorders. You don't need academic qualifications to be good at knowing how to behave around other people.

A person who knows about mental disorders from an academic point of view still might not notice those symptoms in themselves. I don't think that having a PhD in psychiatry would actually help you cover up your symptoms.

Also someone who was a practising psychologist or psychiatrist would not want to hide such an illness as hiding it would almost certainly lead to them being found unfit to practice, where as most illness's if adequately dealt with are not a fitness to practice issue.

Off-topic, it sounds like your thread title is suggesting you have some kind of horrible illness!

"Oooh - I'm 'having PhDs' - it's ever so painful!"

:lol::rolleyes:

Don't mind me ... :whistle:

James

Edited by Gordie