av16

Expelled from public school

Hi

Don't know if anyone has any ideas? Colleague's son suspected AS, 15 yrs old expelled frompublic school. Due to take GCSE's this year. Any ideas?

In haste

AV

I think options available would depend on the reasons for the expulsion. It may be a matter of getting advice on education systems from somewhere like IPSEA/Parent Partnership (or a public school equiv if not within their remit), or if very serious she could beed to seek legal advice.

A good place to start, I think, would be the Citizen's Advice Bureau, as they'll probably be able to point her in the right direction(s) to get her started. It would also probably be a good idea to look properly at what GCSE's he wants to take (or is likely to achieve) and look at what options are available to keep him up to speed on those core subjects while everything else is in limbo.

Sorry that's all so vague - hopefully someone will have something more constructive later. That said, it's a pretty unusual situation with it being a public school, so I think professional input will be needed ASAP

L&P

BD

If money is no object, it shouldn't be that hard to find a school to take him. Could be a problem if he is likely to repeat the act that go thim expelled though. Have they considered a home tutor?

Hi av16,

I expect all public schools have their own processes for appeals against exclusions - presumably she's trying this route already.

If the exclusion is for a reason related to his disability i.e. AS, and she has good evidence of this, she can bring a DDA claim against the school, although it's a lengthy process so I'm not sure if it would help in this case. SENDIST deal with all DDA claims involving exclusion from independent schools. She needs to start the process within 6 months of the incident. The EHRC (formerly DRC) would be able to point her in the right direction if it's appropriate to go down this route.

If the public school is no go, and she just wants to get him back into some kind of education quickly it's probably best to contact the local authority and the Connexions service who should provide advice about local options for him to continue GCSE's.

K x

Hi av16,

I expect all public schools have their own processes for appeals against exclusions - presumably she's trying this route already.

If the exclusion is for a reason related to his disability i.e. AS, and she has good evidence of this, she can bring a DDA claim against the school, although it's a lengthy process so I'm not sure if it would help in this case. SENDIST deal with all DDA claims involving exclusion from independent schools. She needs to start the process within 6 months of the incident. The EHRC (formerly DRC) would be able to point her in the right direction if it's appropriate to go down this route.

If the public school is no go, and she just wants to get him back into some kind of education quickly it's probably best to contact the local authority and the Connexions service who should provide advice about local options for him to continue GCSE's.

K x

Thanks all for advice, don't think it was for a serious event but a culmination of them being disaffected, them finding them difficult to deal with and refusal to attend camhs. There's to be a meeting at school but of course they don't follow the same rules as a state school.

I feel so bad for her (and him) :tearful: hopefully she will get some advice from the school.

Thanks again

AV

Hi

Don't know if anyone has any ideas? Colleague's son suspected AS, 15 yrs old expelled frompublic school. Due to take GCSE's this year. Any ideas?

In haste

AV

NAS advocacy for education service 0845 070 4002

Independent schools can expel students for whatever reasons they like and there is very little in the way of facilities to appeal against the expulsion. It seems like the more parents pay for education the fewer rights they have to appeal when things go wrong. I once encountered a 15 year old with AS who was expelled from an independent school half way through Y11 and had to take his GCSEs at a state school. It was a difficult move because the school used different exam boards for some subjects. He lost some GCSEs because the school didn't offer them and offered double science instead of separate sciences. He also had to resit his maths GCSE despite already having an A grade.