Sign in to follow this  
Maria-Alex

Hello, I'm a new Member.

Hello, My name is Maria I'm 25yrs and live in a village outside of Cambridge called Cambourne.

My son Alex is 5yrs, soon to be 6yrs and was diagnosed with ASD about a year ago.

When my son was about 2 half yrs he used to headbutt the floor, he did it so hard that it drew blood to the surface of the skin, I knew then it was time to visit the doctor and that's when Autism was first mentioned. I had no idea was Autism was and it was never explained, I was just told that no real test could be done until he was about 5yrs.

He joined nursery when he was 3yrs and the staff noticed he wouldn't speak or pay any attention to anyone, He amazed the staff when he would take 6 or more puzzles and mix them up and then put the puzzles together. The nursery referred me to a speech therapist who said he may have learning difficulties and maybe ADHD, she managed to get me referred to see a pediatrician, Alex was about 4 yrs before we saw the pediatrician and I mentioned what our doctor had said and what the speech therapist said and she did a few tests and also saw something not quite right about Alex, and referred him onto a Child Physiologist who finally when Alex was almost 5yrs Diagnosed him with ASD.

Now instead of saying "he might be autistic" I can finally say "he IS autistic" ..I don't like labeling people, but this was a relief to get his the diagnosis, I can get things done and make arrangements to get more help now that he is labeled as autistic. His school are in the process of getting him a one-to-one teacher as he is really struggling to learn and keep up with the rest of the class, his motor skills are not great, he still struggles to hold a pencil correctly and finds it very hard to concentrate. He gets Disability Living Allowance now which we used to get him a home tutor who comes once a week and helps with his motor skills and speech, we buy him puzzles and Lego which also helps his motor skills, special pens which he is able to hold alot easier than the standard pencil. I am also waiting on a delivery of Face Cards, which I saw on a BBC program last night called 'The Autistic me' which I hope helps him with understanding emotions.

I do my best for him but I am really struggling, his behavior has gotten alot worse since I had another child last December. I get upset thinking what he is going to be like when he gets older, and how his school friends will treat him as they grow up together and realize he is different :crying:

I will look forward to reading more posts on this forum and pick up tips to help with my situation, and maybe in some way I can help others also.

Welcome, Maria :) .

A new baby in the house means a lot of disruption for everyone - try to take it easy and don't be too hard on yourself. It sounds as though you and the school are doing all the right things for your son.

Look forward to talking to you here

K x

Hello Maria and welcome :thumbs:

It sounds like the school are being really supportive :clap:

My son is 6 and has autism. So far, his friends and classmates have been amazing - they seem to genuinely like him and aren't bothered about his 'differences'. I guess that might change as he gets older but I try not to think about that too much. At least he's growing up in a more enlightened world.

You'll find lots of support and understanding here :thumbs:

Hi Maria

My son is also six and he has four brothers,one older and two younger.I know that having a new baby is hard my son was 2 1/2 when his brother was born and he never paid him much attention then last year when I had my fourth son it brought the other two much closer now they are inseparable,so it definatley will get easier.I know all the struggles of what you are going through,my son is wonderful at home but has many social problems (not academic)at school and when my family visit or we out,I am surprised I am not bald from pulling my hair out!I know you worry about the future but every parent does regardless of whether they autistic or not!!!!!!!!!!Just think positively and he will shine.There is alot of support on here and lots of autistic adults leading completely "normal"(hate the word)lives!

Hello, My name is Maria I'm 25yrs and live in a village outside of Cambridge called Cambourne.

My son Alex is 5yrs, soon to be 6yrs and was diagnosed with ASD about a year ago.

When my son was about 2 half yrs he used to headbutt the floor, he did it so hard that it drew blood to the surface of the skin, I knew then it was time to visit the doctor and that's when Autism was first mentioned. I had no idea was Autism was and it was never explained, I was just told that no real test could be done until he was about 5yrs.

He joined nursery when he was 3yrs and the staff noticed he wouldn't speak or pay any attention to anyone, He amazed the staff when he would take 6 or more puzzles and mix them up and then put the puzzles together. The nursery referred me to a speech therapist who said he may have learning difficulties and maybe ADHD, she managed to get me referred to see a pediatrician, Alex was about 4 yrs before we saw the pediatrician and I mentioned what our doctor had said and what the speech therapist said and she did a few tests and also saw something not quite right about Alex, and referred him onto a Child Physiologist who finally when Alex was almost 5yrs Diagnosed him with ASD.

Now instead of saying "he might be autistic" I can finally say "he IS autistic" ..I don't like labeling people, but this was a relief to get his the diagnosis, I can get things done and make arrangements to get more help now that he is labeled as autistic. His school are in the process of getting him a one-to-one teacher as he is really struggling to learn and keep up with the rest of the class, his motor skills are not great, he still struggles to hold a pencil correctly and finds it very hard to concentrate. He gets Disability Living Allowance now which we used to get him a home tutor who comes once a week and helps with his motor skills and speech, we buy him puzzles and Lego which also helps his motor skills, special pens which he is able to hold alot easier than the standard pencil. I am also waiting on a delivery of Face Cards, which I saw on a BBC program last night called 'The Autistic me' which I hope helps him with understanding emotions.

Hi welcome to the forum - look forward to speaking with you soon

Tania x

I do my best for him but I am really struggling, his behavior has gotten alot worse since I had another child last December. I get upset thinking what he is going to be like when he gets older, and how his school friends will treat him as they grow up together and realize he is different :crying:

I will look forward to reading more posts on this forum and pick up tips to help with my situation, and maybe in some way I can help others also.