NobbyNobbs

Legoland

we've finally got tickets to go to legoland in a couple of weeks! i'm especially excited as i understand i'll be able to get the exit pass thing so that i dont have to deal with the crowded queue lines. however, i wonder if anyone who has been before can clarify some things, otherwise i'll have to get my mom to phone them and ask.

- what evidence do i need to take of my disability? i have a diagnosis report stating i have social/communication problems and that i have trouble in crowded spaces, and a DLA letter stating i get lower care. is this enough or do i need to get my GP to write another letter?

- there are three of us going, me (AS) my mother and a 3 year old with behavioural problems. the problem i have is on the legoland website it states that someone must be in the same carriage/seat etc as me being the disabled person. it says one guest, but is that an adult or can it be a child? if it is an adult then it is not workable for us as that would leave the three year old on her own and thats certainly not an option.

- if it were the case we would need to take a carer for me under their free carer entry scheme, but then it says documentary evidence must be provided... but i dont have any evidence stating i need a carer, would the evidence of me having AS+DLA be enough?

i know i'll probably need to get someone to phone legoland to find this out but that involves my mom calling then me talking at my mom while shes on the phone so that she knows what to ask, so i'm hoping someone here knows the answer to some of the questions!

No, it would have to be a responsible adult over 18 who sat next to you as they are required to support you in the event of an emergency. Say for instance the ride was to was breakdown whilst hanging at the top and you were to a have meltdown - that adult would need to know you enough and be able to support you to climb out and off the ride whilst having a meltdown and being potentially unresponsive and possibly avoiding/misunderstanding other people's need to touch/support you. I don't think a three year old could do that.

My sister took me to Legoland last year. We didn't use exit passes as it wasn't that busy and the crowds are fairly well controlled. The only thing I found difficult was when some boys went under the rails and pushed in. :shame:

Make sure you take a change of clothes. They have lockers you that can can keep them in during the day as I got soaked on one of the water rides. And don't even if it's the item you're most comfortable in, wear a shirt that goes see-through when it gets wet! :oops:

Hi Nobby Nobbs

I go to Legoland with my boys quite often. My DS who is 11 and has a diagnosis of ASD can have an exit pass and we use this on the busier rides. He does struggle with queueing and gets really tired as he is severely dyspraxic. The exit pass system is brilliant because without it we really wouldnt be able to go on most of the rides, because of the queues. I am not sure how old you are ? My other son who is 12 was allowed to sit with with him on the jungle ride and my husband waited at the exit for them to come off the ride.

We took our son's letter from the consultant paediatrician giving the diagnosis of ASD. We were not required to prove he needed a carer. I believe there is an email address for Legoland customer services on the website - you could email them yourself and explain your circumstances and ask them to clarify things.

Last time we went which was at the beginning of the summer holidays it was really quiet and we got on everything without having to wait much at all. The othe tip is to go when its raining - then there are no queues anyway.

Hope you enjoy it, we have a good time when we go there.

its never simple...

just looked up the train times for getting there and its impossible. going to have to look at every possible route/time to work out a journey time of less than 3 hours each way! no way we can put k on a train for 6 hours, she'd demolish the place.

i dont understand it as i know i can get to reading in an hour direct, but every time i look it up it says no, i can't get there.

Hello

i normally find an autism alert card, a disabled railcard or a disabled bus pass is enough to get me in. They don't normally ask for evidence of being a carer at these things. i got a group of us into Edinburgh castle under a discount as the most NT appearing person asked for a discount for us.

Usually the words "autism spectrum disorder" are enough to get me in various places. Once we got myself, rally man, quiet asperger and rally mans girlfriend in 1/2 price as rally man and his girlfriend looked NT enough to be our carers. In effect they were our carers as rally man had driven us there.

ive been to legoland before but i was too overloaded to take anything in about discounts. i think gran got a senior one but cant remember how the rest of us did.

Some disabled folk need 2 carers so you might be able to negotiate that for the 3 year old.

Have fun! Let us know how it goes when you get back.

Alexis

its never simple...

just looked up the train times for getting there and its impossible. going to have to look at every possible route/time to work out a journey time of less than 3 hours each way! no way we can put k on a train for 6 hours, she'd demolish the place.

i dont understand it as i know i can get to reading in an hour direct, but every time i look it up it says no, i can't get there.

Try looking up a route from Reading to Windsor and see what you get. http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2

Alexis

Edited by trekster

phew. i've tracked down a route that takes 2 hrs 16 minutes each way which is acceptable, especially since K will sleep in her pushchair on the way back and wont even know how long its taking. i remembered that i used to go from a train station slightly further from home that has a lot more travel options. its the next station on the line from our nearest, yet cut over 50 minutes from the journey!

ive also got my mom to agree to phoning legoland to ask about the exit pass and whether i can go on the rides with K next to me or on my own as i haven't had a meltdown since i was 13 and can and will do anything i need to if i'm responsible for K (thats already been tested a few times). if not then we just wont use the exit pass and i'll have to deal with the queues, although i'm hoping there wont be many as we're going in term time on a week day.

Hello, I went recently with my son. We took his diagnosis letter to get his exit pass. I, as his carer, didn't have to prove anything although I did take my carers allowance letter just in case. We went during the week on an inset day and it was quite busy, we were lucky to have the pass (it applied to the whole family). Hope you get all the other answers you need, have a lovely day!

Pleased you found a quicker journey, train timetables are really crazy at times

Alexis