Hello

My son Alex has ASD, he bites his hand alot when he is excited or angry and has done for a few years now, It's leaving the skin on his hand tough and unsightly, Its also his the hand he writes with. I'm just wondering how I might go about trying to stop this, Is there anyone with a similar problem or advice ?

thanks

Maria.

:unsure:

How about giving him something hard to bite like carrots or celery instead? Sounds like hes craving sensory input.

Alexis

How about giving him something hard to bite like carrots or celery instead? Sounds like hes craving sensory input.

Alexis

Sensory wise he does like to lick strange things, 40% of what he picks up gets a lick even stuff like sticks and stones. But when he does this he is doing it in a calm manor, he looks at the object and then softly licks it.

When he bites his hand you can really tell the difference, its like a build up of emotion that gets released through biting, when playing with friends in the playground after school I watch him and if there chasing each other he will run around with his hand in his mouth biting away at it, or when he has just been told off he will scream and then bite it. Any situation with excitement or anger makes him bite himself.