Sign in to follow this  
peaches

Im so pleased DS went to dancing class

R went to dancing class for the first time today and he loves it. It was meant to be for his sister, but he went along and took it for granted he was joining in. It didnt bother him that there were no other boys there, I dont think he even noticed.

He was running about quite a bit before the class started, but once the music came on and the teacher started doing the warm ujp he joined in and he managed to complete the whole one hour class (proud moment). The teacher knew about his ASD and said she thought he did really well. She has had experience of a child with autism before, which is helpful, but she didnt give him any different treatment to the rest of the class.

I dont know if he will keep it up, or go every week, but his sister wants to, so he will come along anyway. I dont think he will want to do the twice yearly shows but thats no reason for him not joining in with the class. To be honest, a year ago, I wouldnt have dreamt this was possible.

Anyone else got an ASD child who goes to dancing?

Hi Peaches,

Its a small step to most but a huge one for you and your son. You must be so pleased. I have spent years trying to get my 16 yr old interested and committed to something but he won't stick at anything. Swimming, tae kwondo (spelling?), football, rugby, etc. He quit them all in the end, and has refused to do anything at all in the last 3 or 4 years. The other week he played us a rap song that was on his mobile and it was really good. I was amazed when he said it was him singing and that he'd wrote the lyrics too. So I've bought him some second hand recording equipment and some software for his computer and I'm hoping this is something he can get interested in and build his confidence. We'll see. I think its fantastic that your son enjoyed his dancing. I do hope he continues.

Hi Peaches,

Its a small step to most but a huge one for you and your son. You must be so pleased. I have spent years trying to get my 16 yr old interested and committed to something but he won't stick at anything. Swimming, tae kwondo (spelling?), football, rugby, etc. He quit them all in the end, and has refused to do anything at all in the last 3 or 4 years. The other week he played us a rap song that was on his mobile and it was really good. I was amazed when he said it was him singing and that he'd wrote the lyrics too. So I've bought him some second hand recording equipment and some software for his computer and I'm hoping this is something he can get interested in and build his confidence. We'll see. I think its fantastic that your son enjoyed his dancing. I do hope he continues.

Thanks, the recording equipment sounds like a great idea... you have to go with what they are interested in. I dont know why Im surprised really, because if we put music on he usuallly dances, but then he gets too silly and injures one of his sisters, so its game over. I do feel a be surprised that music is one of his things though, but all our family appreciates music but the men arent usually dancers!

J has been in a dance class too when younger then we moved, he is really into street dance and park Orr.

J also has a love of gymnastics and was in a club but had to move due to the staff not meeting his SENs but he has been in presant club for about 6 months and he has just this saturday achieved his level 4 badge, he is soo proud, as too was I.

I think anything like Dance, Gymnastics, Judo, can really boost a childs confidence but not only does it do this is really benefits children with body awareness issues, such as Dyspraxia and other movement problems, Js co ordination is great but he doesnt have any awareness of where his body is in to relation to his enviroment, hence he trips up the stairs and bumps into door frames, he is improving but then something throw it all to cuput, He Grows! and he has to evaluate all over again.

I think dancing and boys is soo great and more boys should do it.

Let us know how he goes.

JsMumxxx