Hello, I was told by a lovely man on the phone from the DLA "I have some good news for you....your claim is now for life and you don't have to claim again for your son"

This is the second time I have had to fill in the DLA form (I do realise how lucky I am-as it's the dredded form). This time was due to my son turning 16 soon and so I had to fill in the adults form and now I don't have to fill it in again.

I was so shocked when I was told this-is this normal?

Did the sen school not discuss any transition plan, sen college that sort of thing, you could request an adult assessment of need to look at what provisions, services, ect he can access, also respite for you if your his carer.

I know when J is 14 he will have a transition plan that will detail all his post16 years and adult services like Adult Mental Health, Adult Disability Team ect....

Pleased he has his DLA for life that will be a real reliefe for you all.

You may need to talk to someone from Welfare Right Services too if he ends up living with you when he leaves sen school as he will be entitled to extra benefits.

Request a Welfare Rights officer to discuss his entitlements.

JsMumxxxx

Enid-Someone is going to come round just before his 16th birthday for me to sign some paper work so I can continue to manage his finances.

Jsmum-when we had his last couple of reviews and discussed the transition process my son was in a mainstream school failing badly and to be honest they didn't seem to know what to put on the transition form and most of it was blank although the authority seemed to acept it as being ok. Also although he attends the outreach programme offered by the SEN school he is still on role at the mainstream as all professionals and myself agreed it would take too long to change the statement and my son needed to get out of the school ASAP!!!! The only problem with this (I found out this week) is the mainstream have to continue the reviews-this wasn't said in the discussion infact the ASD SEN manager from the SEN school said she would plan the next review but aparently they are not allowed?????. I think I will contact my sons children's disability social worker and ask what will be on offer when he leaves.

It is a worrying time-the thought of your child going into the big wide world without much or any support. They go from having a statement that offers support for most of the day to not much if anything!!!!

Thanks for the adviceXXX

I wondered if anyone would ask him if he wanted to manage them himself as others have had happen on here, mine would! and would use it for all the wrong reasons, so wondered if they would discuss it with your son? Enid

Enid-Someone is going to come round just before his 16th birthday for me to sign some paper work so I can continue to manage his finances.

Jsmum-when we had his last couple of reviews and discussed the transition process my son was in a mainstream school failing badly and to be honest they didn't seem to know what to put on the transition form and most of it was blank although the authority seemed to acept it as being ok. Also although he attends the outreach programme offered by the SEN school he is still on role at the mainstream as all professionals and myself agreed it would take too long to change the statement and my son needed to get out of the school ASAP!!!! The only problem with this (I found out this week) is the mainstream have to continue the reviews-this wasn't said in the discussion infact the ASD SEN manager from the SEN school said she would plan the next review but aparently they are not allowed?????. I think I will contact my sons children's disability social worker and ask what will be on offer when he leaves.

It is a worrying time-the thought of your child going into the big wide world without much or any support. They go from having a statement that offers support for most of the day to not much if anything!!!!

Thanks for the adviceXXX

#

He should have a care plan, and get everything in writing, also what about a reassessment due to the transition.

CONTACT A FAMILY have brilliant informtion on services.

I would get the reasons to why they can not do the review in writing also.

If your not happy complain too.

Write to the the SEN Local Authority SEN Department and write all your concerns to them, have a plan in writing to what you want for your son.

Keep fighting, like you say we fight all there childhood, the next round is adulthood.

NAS have further information also on Adult Services and Transition services.

MENCAP maybe also another avenue to try too in your area as they may know more what should be happening and Im pretty sure all this should of been reviewed and formatted into a care plan for his adulthood transition by now.

JsMumxxxx

Enid-I have discussed this with my son as much as I can and he has said he wants me to do it all-he knows he can't cope with it all. He has his own bank account and even if I put money in it for him to use to enable him more independence he asks me to get it out or doesn't bother with it-like his pocket money often just sits on a side or in a vase for weeks. He probably wouldn't speak or aknowledge anyone when somebody comes round so i'm not sure what they will do. I'll let you know what happens-it will deffinately be interesting LOL!

Jsmum-thanks for the advice on the different support agencies etc.

When he left the mainstream I relaxed a lot as things are 100% better so was not worried really but now I'm starting to think about the next few years! So I will be deffinately looking into it all and what should be happening-thanksXXX

I was also wondering what support a child gets that has a statement after 16 if they leave a SEN school????

If he leaves the school education system and goes to a further education college for example, the statement will cease. That doesn't mean he is not entitled to support: any college would have to conduct an assessment of his needs.

See this thread for more information:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=409

K x