Sign in to follow this  
Jackinbox

Changing named school

Hi There does anyone have any advice regarding changing the named school on the statement. Does anyone have any info about Parent Partnership service and getting funding from LEA.Whats the best route to go down . Know I should be shouting but need to shout at the right people. Does anyone have any advice. Waiting for PP to return my calls and just looking for some info from others who have trod the same road. :notworthy: Many thanks

Hi Jackinbox,

You can request a straight change of school if it's more than 12 months after the statement was issued or last amended in any way (para 8 schedule 27:Education Act), but there are restrictions: you can only ask for a maintained school of the same type (e.g. from mainstream to mainstream), and it won't get you any other changes to the contents of the statement.

From your previous posts I'm assuming you want a change from mainstream to a special school, (have I got this right?) so you would have to go down a different route to the above. Requesting a Statutory Reassessment from the LA is your best option. A reassessment will require your son's needs to be looked at again and hopefully this would eventually lead to changes to parts 2, 3 and 4 of the statement, assuming you can provide new and strong evidence that his needs have changed.

It could be a lengthy process, especially if (worst case scenario) you have to appeal against a refusal to reassess, and/or a refusal to amend the statement, and/or against the contents of an amended statement.

Hope that helps

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Thanks for that . Yes we will be looking for either a unit attatched to mainstream or sen. We had assessments on ed psy and speech and lang done last november with recomendations but the statement hours stayed the same and no ammendments were made to it. The situation is now more desperate so am approaching Parent Patnership with a view to looking into what provision would suit and how to begin the battle for funding. I have little knowledge of how this system works so any advice is welcomed gratefully :notworthy:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

still havent got the hang of this replying so hope you have got the reply. It got tagged onto the end of yours by mistake sorry.

Do I approach the case officer who issued the statement and request a reassessment. I dont know if they will as my son was only assessed last nov for speech and lang and Ed. Psy and although I pushed for ammendments to be made the statement did nt change. Can the Parent Partnership help in fighting our case do you know Many Thanks

Hi Jackinbox

Don't worry - practice makes perfect. :) Try clicking "Add reply" at the bottom of the page to just bring up the reply box, rather than the "reply" button directly under the last post.

The request must be done in writing, and it's best to write to the boss, i.e. the Director of Childrens Services or whatever he/she is called in your area. You could tell your case officer and send them a copy as well.

Follow the link below which gives you more information and a model letter you can download.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/sevenfixes.htm#Req...ingReassessment

When they receive the letter, by law the LA must consider your request, and you have the right of appeal if they refuse. The LA can only refuse to consider your request if there has been a full statutory assesment or reassessment in the past 6 months. It doesn't matter that he has been seen by the SP&L and Ed Psych.

If your Parent Partnership are on the ball and you find them supportive- use them. In some counties they seem to be more on the side of the LA than the parents so you have to be a bit wary of that, but it does vary from area to area. They can often help by supporting you at meetings with the school although they probably won't get too involved in fighting the LA who probably pays their salary! Try IPSEA and the NAS helplines for good independent advice about SEN law and your rights - ( links at the top of the Education forum in the "pinned" section under SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL NEEDS ADVICE).

Hope that helps

K x

Edited by Kathryn