Sign in to follow this  
Daisydot

Swine flu vaccine

Our family is likely to be offered the swine flu vaccine sooner rather than later as one of our family members falls into the "high risk" categories of having an immune disease.

I am really unsure whether or not to have this vaccine, or even more worrying, whether to agree to the children having it (11 and 12). I understand the British vaccine contains Thimeserol, a mercury based preservative. Both my DS are diagnosed with ASD amongst other things.

I am just worried that the vaccine hasnt been tested thoroughly enough.

Any thoughts ?

Hi daisydot.

I do not know what sort of immune disease the family member has and I think that might make a difference.

My mum was ill a few years ago.She had a very rare disease called Mylodysplasia which is a form of bone marrow failure.My mum had very little immunity in the later stages of her illness because she was no longer making white blood cells.

Mum could not have the flu vaccine because the vaccine itself could have infected her with flu.So the only way to protect mum was for me to have the vaccine so that I knew I was unlikely to infect mum.

Myself and my elder son both had swine flu earlier in the year.We were pretty rough for about a week but I would not desrcibe it as a serious illness for us.However with you I think the most important issue might be with the family member that has an immune disease.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Its MS - which is a neurological disease but its also an auto-immune disease, and GP says DHs immune system is compromised. You may be right that he will not be offered it but we will - although GP told him the other week he would be offered it- I am really worried about the Thimerserol in the vaccine though as the whole Thimerserol / ASD /Mytochondrial disease possible link has been rumbling round for years.

Edited by Daisydot

I am waiting by the phone for DH to be offered it - he also has an autoimmune disease (or two/three) and is also immune compromised :rolleyes: I will be shoving him out of the door to get iot thee moment it appears in our surgery.

I suppose they'll offer it to me too, being preggers - not toally convinced of the need, as I am totally healthy :rolleyes: I'm not sure if they'll offer the kids as they live with DH - if they do, we will definitely take it. The chances of theem getting SF is really, really high - it is obviously very contagious! I hate my kids being ill, and would rather avoid it if possible LOL.

The SF vaccine is almost exactly the same as the normal seasonal flu vaccine which has been given to several million people with few worrying side effects - only a tiny change was required.

Yes we don't know what to do either

DH - has been vaccinated - but suffered a bad reaction and was off work for 3 days as a result

DD1 AS - is flatly refusing to have the vaccination

DD2 Asthma - has been advised to have the vaccination because of her Asthma and is due to be called in the next 2 weeks

I am not sure whether to have it as I suffer from autonimmune problems and have a history of bad drug reactions

Its MS - which is a neurological disease but its also an auto-immune disease, and GP says DHs immune system is compromised. You may be right that he will not be offered it but we will - although GP told him the other week he would be offered it- I am really worried about the Thimerserol in the vaccine though as the whole Thimerserol / ASD /Mytochondrial disease possible link has been rumbling round for years.

Hi again.

Now that I understand better my post is not so relavent.My mum could not have the flu vaccine because her immune system was so severely impacted by mylodysplasia.It sounds fairly likely that your husband would be offered the vaccine.

It may be worth contacting the MS society.They may have advice available on the possible effects of swine flu on individuals with MS and whether they consider vaccination worthwhile.

Although I do sometimes post from professional experience I also have some personal knowledge of MS.My father in law had MS for about 30 years.He did tend to have worsening of his MS at times when he was unwell with other things.So it may be worth considering when you are attempting to make a decision. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Edited to add this link that might be helpful.

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/downloads/Swin...L2.af4b6e2f.pdf

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

I am waiting by the phone for DH to be offered it - he also has an autoimmune disease (or two/three) and is also immune compromised :rolleyes: I will be shoving him out of the door to get iot thee moment it appears in our surgery.

I suppose they'll offer it to me too, being preggers - not toally convinced of the need, as I am totally healthy :rolleyes: I'm not sure if they'll offer the kids as they live with DH - if they do, we will definitely take it. The chances of theem getting SF is really, really high - it is obviously very contagious! I hate my kids being ill, and would rather avoid it if possible LOL.

The SF vaccine is almost exactly the same as the normal seasonal flu vaccine which has been given to several million people with few worrying side effects - only a tiny change was required.

Just wanted to say I do not know how contagious it is.

My other half spent about three weeks in the same house and one week in the same bed as peeps who had it.He was desperate to get it but didn't. :whistle::whistle::whistle::lol:

i've had SF, the three other people in the house (one heart probs + diabetes, one 3yrs old) didn't get it despite me being very ill for over a week with it. we're undecided about the vaccine. i'm having the regular flu vaccine on thursday as i have asthma, but so far our doctors say they have no information about it and none of the staff have had the vaccine yet - apparently we're not important down here!