Sign in to follow this  
Joels_mum

Hello

Hi, I'm new here. My son Joel is 3 years old and is undergoing assessment for a suspected ASD. He doesn't talk much and doesn't respond to his name being called. He likes playing with his cars and lining them up. He does a fair bit of hand flapping and it is difficult to get eye contact with him. He has chronic constipation, he had a severe milk allergy as a baby (I had to go on a dairy free diet in order to breastfeed him). He is a lovely little boy, he is very affectionate and loves slapstick comedy.

I have decided to try him on a gluten free dairy free diet (he used to be on a dairy free diet when he was younger but allergy tests showed he had grown out of it). I have suspected for some time that he still has problems with it because of the constipation. I've been reading lots of your stories on here, thanks for sharing them.

Hi Joels_mum and welcome.

I like GFCF diets personally - drop a dress size when I stick to it rigidly which is good a enough reason to do it :)

Edited by call me jaded

Hi, I'm new here. My son Joel is 3 years old and is undergoing assessment for a suspected ASD. He doesn't talk much and doesn't respond to his name being called. He likes playing with his cars and lining them up. He does a fair bit of hand flapping and it is difficult to get eye contact with him. He has chronic constipation, he had a severe milk allergy as a baby (I had to go on a dairy free diet in order to breastfeed him). He is a lovely little boy, he is very affectionate and loves slapstick comedy.

I have decided to try him on a gluten free dairy free diet (he used to be on a dairy free diet when he was younger but allergy tests showed he had grown out of it). I have suspected for some time that he still has problems with it because of the constipation. I've been reading lots of your stories on here, thanks for sharing them.

Hi there Joels mum, I am Anna mum to Liam who is 3 who last week has been diagnosed as with ASD, we have only been going since June this year so we are relieved that we got the diagnosis so quickly compared to other parents that we have spoken to. Liam was lactose intolerant from 8 weeks so had to go on Nutramigen powdered milk as I was unable to breastfeed. Liam doesn't speak at all and uses PECS to communicate with us, Liam has very little eye contact and plays with no toys at all and is affectionate but only on a very small scale, Liam is a very happy little guy who loves watching Mr Tumble where he gets very excited over and dances and hand flaps in front of the Tv. We were told that Liam had outgrown his Lactose allergy but we were not convinced so have put Liam back on Soya products and we have reduced his Gluten intake by swtiching things such as bread,pasta, biscuits, cakes and breakfast cereals.We are currently waiting on a appointment from a dietician to discuss this further. We feel it has helped by changing the diet with regards to gluten and dairy we have noticed that Liam has a little more eye contact and is becoming more loving and the stomach cramps has lessened by a huge amount and so has the constipation so I would say go ahead and try it is well worth it. Sorry this is so long.

Which area do you live at.

Good luck and keep at it.

Take Care

Anna (from A and A)

Hi to you both, thanks for the welcome.

Although Joel has only been on the GFCF diet for a few days his constipation has eased considerably so we are hoping it will benefit him.

Hi and welcome I am joy mum to Marcus 13 who has ASD and twins Piers and Lydia 5 Piers also has ASD. Piers was lactose intolerant as a baby and can still only tolerate small amounts of dairy in his diet and occasionally has episodes of diarrhoea if he has too much and stomach cramps, he was on SMA lactose free as a baby. Marcus was GF/CF for about a year and we also saw benefits but he spends time with his grandparents and they found it too difficult this led to lots of problems so we switched back. As a baby marcus had severe colic and has been on laxatives since he was 2 for chronic constipation and soiling, he will be on these for life. Lydia also suffers with cycles of chronic constipation and then offensive diarrhoea so i am sure she has some intolerance as well. I myself have had IBS for years as well as other health problems and have been diagnosed with a dairy, egg, gluten, white fish and cashew nut intolerance and after stopping these feel better than i have in years and have lost 17lbs as well. Good luck with the diet.