Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Emailing, Internet web mobile dooburys...

Unsure whether this should be in 'off-topic' or 'puter issues' as I'm not actually sure what the product I'm asking about is, so Mods feel free to move as appropriate... :unsure:

I think because I don't do regular phones, I've missed a whole 'move' in technology and feel a bit old suddenly. :lol: My mobile does calls, and texts, and, erm, well that's it, it doesn't even take photographs!! :photo:

However, I think I'm right in saying that the new 'phones' (if that's what they're called) that people are progressing to now allow you to fully use the Internet whilst mobile (i.e. anywhere, not just when in range of your wi-fi connection?? - don't know how this works) so I could access email and have much greater ease of communication. Am I right in what I think they can do? So for instance, could I take it and use it on the train, in hospital, working in the park even if those places (so not like some coffee shops for instance) don't offer free wi-fi? How do these work and how do you pay for them? I would need something entirely from scratch because I get free wi-fi with my student accommodation so don't actually have any contract with an Internet provider as such. How much would it cost? Is it reliable? Can it really be used anywhere? How does it work?

Now what I'd really like is some device that as well as phone (for when I get over my phobia!!)/Internet etc also has some type of good organiser and maybe even allows me to access my normal laptop programmes - so I could work on things then somehow plug it in and update/sync them - am I living in a dreamland or does such a thing exist?

If anyone understands what I'm on about and can update my untechnological head with regards what products are available, what they do, and one-off and ongoing costs I'd be really grateful. If what I'm thinking exists does exist, it could really help me (I'm struggling a bit with self organisation at the moment :() so I want to look into this seriously and finding something that does everything seems sensible.

i was just saying i need to get one of those this morning! i also dont do phones, but the idea of internet access anywhere is a mighty fine thing. i dont know if it really is anywhere or if there are restrictions, but it's certainly a lot more handy than carrying a laptop around and trying to find 'free wifi' signs.

If you already have a computer, you can get a thing called a DONGLE, which is a USB stick, which you plug into your computer to get mobile broadband. Cost from about £10 a month.

Google 'dongle' to find out about them.

If you already have a computer, you can get a thing called a DONGLE, which is a USB stick, which you plug into your computer to get mobile broadband. Cost from about £10 a month.

Google 'dongle' to find out about them.

Thanks Chris. I'd heard mention of a dongle (couldn't quite remember the name, so doobury was the closest I could come up with!! :lol:) which would allow me to do everything I want and have the convenience of having everything on my laptop so I wouldn't have to worry about syncing things. I'm going to see if there is a pay as you go version as that would help me in the meantime.

The reason I was thinking more on the lines of an entirely separate device is that my 'laptop', is actually quite big and heavy (I only use it on my desk) which is good for my college work as it has a big screen etc but carrying it around is too heavy and I worry about dropping/breaking/loosing it or having it stolen. I'd rather have something that I would always have with me rather than something I have to specifically think about packing up and lugging around. I found some 'things' (I really don't know if you call them phones or mini computers :unsure:) that have a slide out qwerty keyboard that look good but they are really expensive. I may have to write a very good letter to Father Christmas this year! :lol: