sesley

went to a seminar for anger management in Inverness today

run by Help. a very interesting topic since some of us experience this characteristic of autism. Lots of interesting information and strategys others use to help defuse the meltdowns, though the rumbling stage where everything is simmiering until the point of no return to meltdown sometimes is hard to detect. my p explodes on the face of it spontaneously. Though after the incident in Elgin Asda,he was still simmering with anxietys when we popped into Elgins Tescos and explodede in there. When i am at home i get him to time out in his room and talk him after about 5 mins into logical thinking again. His main school explosions are to do with turn taking,being first and not being picked for a chore or to help the speaker or teacher .

My son is the same. It is from zero to boiling point in the blink of an eye. Then it is gone just as fast to be placed by tears and remorse. I really do think there is something different going on in the brain. It is like there is no filter or screen. It is as though the brain is flooded with emotion and feelings, without real control of them. And it is just as horrendous for them as it is for us.

I use timeout strategies, or distraction, or may say very firmly 'stop it now'. Now he is 8 and I am big enough and with enough attitude that I won't take any bad behaviour from him. But I am concerned about what he will be like as an 18 year old strapping young man if he has the same lack of control over his emotions.

If you think of it as a behavioural seizure that could help. His brain is literally reacting to the bombardment of sensory and other over stimulations happening to him. Severe meltdowns in me (more than 3 a week) indicate severe depression. Not sure if Help! mentioned this but......anger is often

expressed when depression is the cause (tony attwoods complete guide to AS).

Rumbling stage is hard to detect as it can be so subtle, it could be something as simple as more frequent interruptions, gradual increase or decrease in tone of voice, to rocking, making a sound to block out other sounds or going very quiet just before they blow up.

When my short term memory problems were treated (b6, right type of fish oils (accidentally had ones with gluten in), taurine (anxiety increased short term memory wipes), 5htp, mag, benzoate free), then my meltdowns decreased. Coming of the liquid risperidal was the best thing i did.

Alexis

Those Help2 seminars are excellent - really pleased you found it useful. Personally it changed my family's whole outlook and the way we supported J generally.

The Help2 seminar on Social Stories is very good too, much better than Carole Gray's complicated method, IMO.

Karen

x