Sign in to follow this  
gemgems77

bad dreams and scratching

i am probably going to seem really stupid asking this but i have a 6 yr old in process of beaing diognoised with asd ,he seems to be having alot of bad dreams at mo and wont sleep in his own bed so he sleeps in ours (untill i know hes def gone then i put him back in his :devil: )now is this normal for children with as? ....also he has this thing at moment were he keep scratching saying hes itchy can this be anything to do with as ?as you can see by the time i have written this i was once agian woke up by son and he is now settled in MY bed ,thaankyou :(

i am probably going to seem really stupid asking this but i have a 6 yr old in process of beaing diognoised with asd ,he seems to be having alot of bad dreams at mo and wont sleep in his own bed so he sleeps in ours (untill i know hes def gone then i put him back in his :devil: )now is this normal for children with as? ....also he has this thing at moment were he keep scratching saying hes itchy can this be anything to do with as ?as you can see by the time i have written this i was once agian woke up by son and he is now settled in MY bed ,thaankyou :(

Hello,

some children with ASD have sensory issues and there may be something that is making him scratch, such as the material of his pyjamas, sheets etc. As for the bad dreams, he may be worried about things at school, friends etc and this may be making him dream more. Hope this helps.

Best wishes

OAASIS

Hi my six year old had this problem with scratching when he was younger,I was told to change washing powder also to vaccuum the mattress for dust mite,even though it was a new mattress he is a bit more sensitive then others.He often felt more relaxed without pyjamas on (sleep nude) and he did this for about two years,he would wrap himself tightly in his duvet so he was warm.He did this during the day as well,at that time I did not know he has AS,even now although he wears clothes its always minimal,even when its freezing he will wear shorts and a shirt,people stare alot when I take him to school becasue he does not wear his jumper or coat!As for the bad dreams he has always had nightmares some he remembers well because it bothers him the whole day he likes to tell me about it then I can reassure him that all is well.A few weeks ago he went through two weeks of talking in his sleep,I dont mean just a word or two,he had conversations the WHOLE ENTIRE night!!!!It was hard because it was breaking his sleep (and mine) and he seemed distressed about the nightmares,all I can say is get him to try talk about it and reassure him,in my case I do seem to repeat the reassuring bit but it seems to help.

Hi Gems,

I have a 6yr old daughter (NT) - who suffers extreme itching (especially at bedtime) for periods at a time (worse behind her knees, groin, back and neck). Sometimes it has been really bad and she breaks her skin in various places and has very little sleep and therefore continually exhausted. We've had various creams prescribed by the GP - many made it much worse - we went through everything from washing powder, elastic on underwear and eventually realised it's either when she became anxious/stressed - mostly when she started nursery, started school or worried about something in school etc or when she was unwell - GP has now said they think it's eczema as this normally is worse at night and also when stressed etc.

Take care,

Jb

The itching may be a sensory issue. Does he have any new clothes or sheets that might feel different to his previous ones?

It may also be an allergy. Have you changed your washing powder or any soaps or shampoos recently? Check for new recipes as well.

It could be sensory and/or it could be an allergy/eczema (which could be made worse by stress). It would be worth speaking to the GP about preventative and flare-up treatments. There are multiple preventative (essentially highly moisturising) creams, washes etc available on prescription, the trouble is that in allergic individuals it can take a while to find the right one and some can make the situation worse. However, I'd say from my experience it's worth going through that as I've now got a cream that really helps which means I have very few flare-ups and so less need for much stronger medications.

If you do find a cream that helps a good tip is to keep a bottle in the fridge (if he is OK with the temperature) as it's really soothing when the itching is more of a problem.

thankyou for all your replys , justine 1 your sounds so much like mine , he refuses to wear a coat and likes to be naked as well, we havent changed our washing powder as my other son suffers with very dry skin and gets alot of infections ,we havent changed bedding as he only will sleep with thomas ,he does get very sweaty though ,as he is on the large side and is under a dietcian ,he doesnt just scratch at night its anytime of the day :wacko: