Dappydiva

hi, a newbie

Hi,

I have just joined after being refered by a friend.

I am a single parent with a son of 11 with a ASD diagnosis.

Thought this would be a good way of learning more for myself and about my son about going into the teenage stage and to meet parents who are encountering the same day to day comings and going of a soon to be teenager with ASD.

I live in the Berkshire area and am keen to compare notes offer advice and vice versa.

Hi dappydiva and a warm welcome >:D<<'>

I have a 12 year old son J, he is going to be a teenager very soon, I must admit Im already seeing adolesent behaviours already and the attitude well thats another level of issues, I did the Tripple P Adolesent course run by my Local Authority and though it isnt spersific to ASD, it did help and I modified it for Js needs, he uses a lot of visual displays at home which has helped and a safe place to go to when he is in the difficult moment.

Its challenging to go throw adolesence already but add on top ASD, ADHD and Mental health disorders it is certainly a challenge.

I hope we both can give each other ideas, Ive been reading a book called Adolescents on the Autism Spectrum Chantal Sicile Kira which is proving to be very informative, it has been useful to look at the different levels including sexuality and pubity and then the complications of Anxieties so Its one Id recommend.

Anyway nice to meet you.

JsMumxxxxx

Edited by JsMum

Hi,

Nice to meet you both.

I have read so many of the threads on this site and it really feels like a community where whatever is thrown at you, you can share with others.

"JS Mum" I will google that book, as I am thinking although he is a gentle,caring boy, he is experiencing so many changes and with ASD I really want to be there for him and support him. k really does struggle with the social and communication side of things. If you have any other books that you think may help I'd be so so grateful, I have surfed the net etc but "whooh" that can be so scary as it can be so indepth.

K is starting at a local youch club for ASD 11+ kids next week and I am hoping he will enjoy that as he is keen to meet kids just like him, fingers crossed it works out. It will disrupt his routine as it is 6-8pm but I think for him to mix with kids like him I think it will help him understand himself a bit better..

Take care

xxx

DD

Hi DD again,

A great pubity book I share with J as he is a visual learning and has lots of fantastic pictures is Lets Talk About Sex Growing up, changing bodies, sex and sexual health. by robbie h harris, it guides the parents on when and what information you give by age, as J is developmentally younger I have to gage what he will understand, but the pictures are just brilliant, obvously we have a giggle, as the pictures are quite funny, but its a easy book to follow too.

It is fantastic that your son can attend a ASD youth club, in our area they have not got anything like that, so your lucky there, Js freind at his school said he didnt know there was other boys like him because in mainstream school Js friend said he was the one that was different, where as at Js school he didnt feel that much different, so hopefully the other boys in the Youth club will be just relieved that they are not alone in their ASD, obvously there will be differences still but not as prominant as in mainstream.

Good Luck with the youth club.

JsMumxxxx

Hi again!

I have lots of e vouchers with amazon so I feel a splurge of book buying looming, thanks for that again.

i think being able to laugh with our kids when talking about growing up helps, as there are just the two of us in our house we have never operated a "shy" house so K obviously knows the difference between boys and girls, I would love to share a situation that happened recently that was very comical and at the same time niave that will stay in my memory forever, I had told k not to play with a certain part of his anatomy all the time as it would fall off, (I know not the best thing to say to a very literal ASD child but he he knew what i meant) anyway several weeks later I was in the shower and he walked in and said "oh you have been playing with yourself, your w**y has fallen off!!!!!"

Well I nearly died!!!

The spectrum club was set up by local mums with kids on the spectrum and is based at my K school. It was a few years in the making and the waiting list was over a year but we have a place. It is run by the mums (hopefully when k is settled I will offer my volunteering services) and I think it is a wonderful idea. Obviously sponsorship from local companies helps and a small fee of £1.50 to attend. I'll keep you posted on how that goes and more importantly how he gets on. He is aware of his diagnosis so to be with like minded people will be incredible to see that there are others out there. The best thing is he is aware of the surroundings and the people who work there already.

xx

:lol::lol::lol: yes we do have to be very careful how we word things, this book is great for that, but your story did make me laugh.

Its great that mums in your area have got together to run a spersific youth club and because he is already familiar with the facitilities that is a bonus, in our area we have parent support groups and occasional social groups, it very difficult to keep the fundraising going, but it is something we would love to do here, just running the parent support group is difficult at the moment, so well done to your mums there.

JsMumxxxx

Hi DD again,

A great pubity book I share with J as he is a visual learning and has lots of fantastic pictures is Lets Talk About Sex Growing up, changing bodies, sex and sexual health. by robbie h harris, it guides the parents on when and what information you give by age, as J is developmentally younger I have to gage what he will understand, but the pictures are just brilliant, obvously we have a giggle, as the pictures are quite funny, but its a easy book to follow too.

It is fantastic that your son can attend a ASD youth club, in our area they have not got anything like that, so your lucky there, Js freind at his school said he didnt know there was other boys like him because in mainstream school Js friend said he was the one that was different, where as at Js school he didnt feel that much different, so hopefully the other boys in the Youth club will be just relieved that they are not alone in their ASD, obvously there will be differences still but not as prominant as in mainstream.

Good Luck with the youth club.

JsMumxxxx

You could approach your NAS branch and ask about setting up a youth club. Or you could contact Amy Phipps at the filton NAS office and ask if she would give advice on setting up an ASD youth club. i was fortunate that 6 months post diagnosis a parent did exactly that. 14 years later our group at the Centre for the Deaf in Bristol is still running. It is for asperger folk but we accept autistics as well provided jen can meet them beforehand to make sure our group is suited to them.

Alexis

"how to be yourself in a world thats different", "what is asperger syndrome and how will it affect me?", "aspects of asperger syndrome, success in the teens and twenties" are all books recommended by this Asperger.

thanks trekster for the recommendations, he is aware of his diagnosis, it is now helping him understand it to the best he can, he is kind of in denial as he strives so hard to be just like the other kids at school. I will order those books thanks again

Hi dappydiva and welcome to the Forum. :)

I am married and we have a son age 13 [NT] and Ben who is 11.Ben was diagnosed last year with Asperger's Syndrome he also had an earlier diagnosis of dyspraxia.

Hello, welcome to the forum :)

thanks trekster for the recommendations, he is aware of his diagnosis, it is now helping him understand it to the best he can, he is kind of in denial as he strives so hard to be just like the other kids at school. I will order those books thanks again

Your welcome let me know if any of them are useful to you.

Alexis

Hi dappydiva and welcome to the Forum. :)

I am married and we have a son age 13 [NT] and Ben who is 11.Ben was diagnosed last year with Asperger's Syndrome he also had an earlier diagnosis of dyspraxia.

Hi Karen,

K was diagnosed originally with Autism at 3yrs old and then about 5 it was changed to Aspergers as almost overnight he began to talk independantly rather that parrot everything that was said around him or point rather than communicate. How does ben cope with his diagnosis is aware?