Sign in to follow this  
bettywobble

back to school after home ed

Hi,

I took my 6yr old son out of mainstream school in September because basically the school was terrible. We thought we would give our son a little time to get it out of his system, with a view to returning to school. We found a school which we like, we are going back to visit it tomorrow. Now we seem to banging our heads against a brick wall with the lea. Nobody knows what is going on, I have no idea whom I have to speak with, what procedure I am meant to go through etc. I have tried getting in touch with the sen officer (my son has a statement but attended mainstream school), but she is nowhere to be found. All I want is for my son to go back to this new school after january. Can anyone please help? Thanks, Debbie

Hi Betty, welcome to the forum.

Is the school you want a mainstream school, and are you happy with the statement as it is (i.e. parts 2 and 3)?

K x

Hi Betty, welcome to the forum.

Is the school you want a mainstream school, and are you happy with the statement as it is (i.e. parts 2 and 3)?

K x

Hi,

Yes, I am happy with the statement, and the school I want is a very small mainstream school with 30 odd pupils. It's not the school I took him out of though...would rather poke my eyes out than send him there! The sen officer has just been in touch and said we have to wait and see if the school can meet his needs (they aren't a lot being perfectly honest, although he does have a support assistant for 26hrs). I am going slowly mad here!

If the school you want is a LEA school (not independent), and as long as the statement hasn't been issued or amended in the last 12 months, you can officially request that the school be named in part 4 of the statement.

If the LEA refuse (there are 3 possible legal grounds for refusal), you can appeal to the SEN tribunal.

K x

Thanks that's what I thought. However, now the sen officer is saying I will have to wait and see if the school think they can cope with his needs before they can give him a place.

Well I hope the visit tomorrow helps to clarify the school's view. If they aren't full and are happy to accept him with the current statement, there shouldn't - in theory anyway - be any barrier.

K x