got the tshirt

Adults AQ

I come from a long line of people with social/ communication/ emotional differences, OCD, and many other autistic type traits and think that 2 of my three daughters possible have aspergers. Recently I have begun to question my own personality differences and having done some reading came upon the adult AQ which I decided to fill in. Needless to say I came out with a very high score and I wondered if anyone knows anything other than the brief information about the writers of the test and how it is scored.

I do have difficulties with eye contact, personal space, social situations and sometimes I upset people by speaking in a blunt way [ apparently].

I would be really interested to hear what others think. B)

AS have a genetical link so could be possible and likely i'd get in touch with NAS or your GP and speak about all getting asessed for AS!!! i have tow family members on my mum's side undiagnosed that are so similiar to me and pointing so loud in AS /dyspraxic direction showing all the 'glowing' signs of it!

here general informations and detail on AQ test of who made it and scoring:

Psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen and his colleagues at Cambridge's Autism Research Centre have created the Autism-Spectrum Quotient, or AQ, as a measure of the extent of autistic traits in adults. In the first major trial using the test, the average score in the control group was 16.4. Eighty percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and many who score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for mild autism or Asperger's report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives.

good luck

XKLX

There is no physical evidence to suggest this but I think that I'm in the same boat. My paternal grandfather had something, but I wasn't even advised that I may be autistic until 14 months after he died... The intermediate (his son, my father) would seem to have a mild case of AS but nothing obvious enough for anyone (including, I must admit, both he and I) to justify a diagnosis at 53 years old.

I took the AQ test soon after finally being tested (but before receiving the results). I scored 42, and 5 of the remaining 8 can be discarded as experience from enjoying being around children (and teacher training) for so long. So in that sense I scored 93% on it (42/45).

For no apparent reason I am actually quite good when it comes to eye contact. However, if I feel uncomfortable for any reason - which is often - I will look out of the window (at a tree?). I also have an honesty complex... [if there is such a term!]

One thing I've noticed between autistic people is that they seem to get along either very well or very poorly. Can anyone confirm (or laugh off!) this belief?

Thanx for the replies, Its interesting sf313 that you say you dicarded some of the questions when you did the aq because I too work with children and have done for 20 years. I don't find my differences are a problem when working with children, Its the adults I have trouble with. I love sunny days because I can wear really dark glasses and don't have to worry about eye contact. B)

When I did it (I've done it twice now and scored 42 twice) I looked through it afterwards and noticed that 5 of the 8 non-AS answers I gave involved children's activities or similar, such as pretend play. At heart I've always felt at least remotely child-like (I will go as far as saying that I have the emotions of a ten-year-old girl; I will start a new topic about this shortly), and I believe that this characteristic of me explained these answers. But as I said during my introduction, I'm only 20 years old (as opposed to your situation of having helped children for that long), which would probably explain why I still feel at least fairly intune in this sense. I have an overly-vivid imagination...