Sign in to follow this  
kazzdt

THUMB SUCKER!

I really need some help with this one.

My Sam AS/ADHD who is 11 and due for secondary transfer in September, still has a problem with sucking his thumb. Over the years I've tried many different ways of getting him to stop but, no luck. He mostly does it now when he's tired, or stressed. Watching an 11 year old with his thumb in mouth on a rugby pitch is not an ideal picture. No-one at school really teases him about this as they're so used to him, but I fear for him come September, I really do!

In the last couple of months he's become worried about this and has asked me to help him try and stop. Easier said than done. Initially we started taping his thumb up at night (as this is the time he can't go without it). It worked really well for a few weeks and he wasn't sucking it at all. Now he's started again, and won't try the tape though he's still anxious to stop.

I find it strange that he can go for weeks without doing it and then start again. When he was very young he had a very bad cut on his thumb and couldn't suck it for weeks, when it healed he was back on it again. I thought that once the habit got broken that would be that. Apparently not so.

Have any of you had any experiences that may help? We've been down the nail biting liquid route which didn't help either. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Kazz

Hiya Kazz

I can't really offer any ideas. I really wouldn't worry about it. I know of people that are in their 30's + and still suck their thumb!. He will learn the right time to do it. ie at home not on the rugby pitch!!. He might get a little bit of stick at school (but hopefully not too much) that will make him stop. or at least think before the thumb goes in the mouth!!.

Good luck

sel.

Hi Kazz I am mum to a 14 year old (nearly 15) who is still a thumb sucker, thankfully now it is only in the privacy of our home, he used to do it school up to yr7 and then became aware of it and soon stopped when anyone commented. Also his father was a thumb sucker, and my sister is still and she's 45 (sorry sis she probably won't like me saying that but its true ... I've got the pic's to prove it)

Try not to worry, generally it becomes a private pleasure.

HHxx

Thanks for your replies.

You'r right, I suppose its just one more thing that I don't need to be worrying about. It's only for the fact that he says he really really wants to stop and thinks that I should be able to help him that makes we worry about it. Sometimes though, I just think he needs it as a comfort and that without it he may feel worse. It's not doing much for his teeth either, which he's becoming aware of and the orthodontist can't do anything while he's still thumbsucking.

Com started sucking his thumb in Y1 - stress reaction to school.

He still does it at 13 and it's one of the signs of stress they recognise in him at school - ie. when it increases.

we did manage to curb it a little when he started high school - we emphasised to him that it is one of those things you do in private like nose picking and used tokens to encourage him to stop outside the house.

It didn't stop altogether but it did help

apparently the other kids just ignore it and anyway I've seen NT kids in school with their thumbs in their mouths - it isn't one of the specific things Com gets bullied for or teased about

Zemanski

It is a very difficult one, I am 29 and still suck my thumb quite regularly, I have just learnt when it is appropriate to do so (ie, on my own!)

My mother would go on at me for doing it through my teens and comment about it messing up my teeth. All of which made me more anxious and stressed and so I did it more.

I suspect the best you can do is to just be supportive and understanding. I would've liked to have stopped but I was also unable to sleep without doing it, maybe you could suggest some different relaxing bedtime routine - I have a bizarre one where tickling the side of my index finger is very relaxing and can stop me sucking my thumb, that one comes in handy if I am sharing a bed with someone! ;)