jonathan

severe OCD and anxiety in aspergers

I'm a desperate mother of a child with aspergers he has been under CAMHS and has been on risperdal and floxetine and this seemed to maintain his anger and his severe OCD and anxiety but they have taken him off these as the consultant read up that they have alto of side effects so he is off meds at the moment and he is severly depressed he rolls around of the floor he either tries to hurt me or worse tries to hurt himself I feel CAMHS have let us down badly and have reduced his meds but not replaced them with any other all they say is they are reviewing the situation I had to remove all knives and sharp objects away from him in fear of him hurting himself me and my hubby who also has AS are mentally drained I have screamed and cried at CAMHS in frustration but they seem so hairy fairy about the whole ordeal can anyone give me any suggestions on how to get my son the help he so desperatle :wallbash: y needs !

Hi Jonathan I do feel for you, I am having my own problems with CAMHS at the moment. I'm not sure what to suggest but perhaps go to your GP, or paediatrician to see if either one of them can speak to CAMHS on your behalf. I do hope this gets sorted very quickly, I know what its like living with a young person who is aggressive, as my own son Glen who is ASD can be very aggressive at times. Keep in touch and let us know what happens.

How old is your son ?

if he is in pain or as you have said in a very bad way can you not ask your GP to vist at home, or if not take him to hospital. Let them see how bad he is so they may listen to you then.

when my son stoped taking risperidal it was done very slowly, and he was ready to stop. It sounds like your son still needs more help and its just awful that he has been treated this way, perhaps you could film him and take a copy to camhs. i dont know if its legal to do that maybe someone else could help there. sorry if i havent been much help.

I'm a desperate mother of a child with aspergers he has been under CAMHS and has been on risperdal and floxetine and this seemed to maintain his anger and his severe OCD and anxiety but they have taken him off these as the consultant read up that they have alto of side effects so he is off meds at the moment and he is severly depressed he rolls around of the floor he either tries to hurt me or worse tries to hurt himself I feel CAMHS have let us down badly and have reduced his meds but not replaced them with any other all they say is they are reviewing the situation I had to remove all knives and sharp objects away from him in fear of him hurting himself me and my hubby who also has AS are mentally drained I have screamed and cried at CAMHS in frustration but they seem so hairy fairy about the whole ordeal can anyone give me any suggestions on how to get my son the help he so desperatle :wallbash: y needs !

We don't seem to use CAHMS in our area, so I can't give you specific advice.

But are they the only ones who can see your son and prescribe medication? If not, then can you go to your GP and ask for a referal to either the developmental Paediatrician.

I would also advise you to speak with the NAS about this.

Are Social Services involved. Has a CAF been completed for your son?

I'm a desperate mother of a child with aspergers he has been under CAMHS and has been on risperdal and floxetine and this seemed to maintain his anger and his severe OCD and anxiety but they have taken him off these as the consultant read up that they have alto of side effects so he is off meds at the moment and he is severely depressed he rolls around of the floor he either tries to hurt me or worse tries to hurt himself I feel CAMHS have let us down badly and have reduced his meds but not replaced them with any other all they say is they are reviewing the situation I had to remove all knives and sharp objects away from him in fear of him hurting himself me and my hubby who also has AS are mentally drained I have screamed and cried at CAMHS in frustration but they seem so hairy fairy about the whole ordeal can anyone give me any suggestions on how to get my son the help he so desperate :wallbash: y needs !

When i was attacking people physically and mentally, it was due to my diet. Benzoic acid and tartaric acid in particular (contained in my liquid risperdal) turned me almost psychotic. i went off the meds overnight due to my behaviour and went on 5htp/taurine for anxiety and vegan probiotics for the OCD (mines a rumination (severe at the moment which is why im still awake!), hoarding spending (those 2 under better control) type OCD. ive read some studies that say probiotics help with both OCD and depression which your son has. If you give him a dairy free version then if you attempt gf/cf/msg f/aspartame f diet later on it wont be so much of an issue. The gluten free part of the diet especially can help with depression.

i resisted going gluten and dairy free for 10 years as i couldn't face it, but believe me it was well worth it. i am currently badly depressed but im dealing with it in a more constructive way. i stopped self harming in Feb 2005 and apart from my diet being the wrong sort of foods (sugary at times or very little to eat) in relatively ok. i can look forward to the future now.

Im no longer on meds since i react atypically to them. Personally i feel the risperdal is the harmful drug, havent heard bad press about prozac (floxetine).

Good luck

Alexis

All medications can have side effects. Was your son actually getting side effects? It would seem silly to take him off medications that are working just because they cause side effects in other people.

You might find a formal complaint about lack of support will be the only way to get them to take notice of you.