Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Did you know

I thought maybe we needed something ejukashunal on the site, so thought maybe a thread on inventors and their inventions would be good. Thing is, lots of inventors get famous for one thing but their other stuff gets overlooked (was it Faraday or Newton who invented the cat flap, for example?)

Anyhoo - to get things going here's a couple I've carefully researched:

Richard Peoples was the inventor in 1960 of the first working jetpack, and was also the inventor of sprout soup.

Thomas Crapper patented the first flushable toilet, and was also the inventor of Vindaloo curries.

anyone else know any amazing facts?

:D

oh - And Mary Quant invented the mini skirt and thermal underwear

And the gas mask was invented by the same man who developed the F-Plan diet.

Newcastle brown ale was invented by the same man who invented incontinence pants

Don't know about all that...

But I do know that Walter Raleigh, credited with inventing the potato, or bringing it to Britain or something, also opened the first chippy.

Somewhere in Bolton I think it was; and still using the same oil - allegedly.

K x

I want to invent a machine that makes clothes to fit your indiviudal body shape and size, Im sick of not finding clothes that actually fit me, Ive got long limbs, slim and nothing fits, so even skinny people have nightmare fitting expereinces.

The machine would have a computer that shows you clothing syles you click on it and then you walk throw a body scanner that takes all your spersific measurements and then the machine would instantly make them within a couple of hours.

So one day I can wear made to measure clothes.

I know that the man who invented the Lightbulb was called Mr Watts.

Thats all I know without searching on the internet,

JsMumxxx

The pocket calculator as we know it today was invented by Sir Clive Sinclair in 1972. :thumbs:

He also pioneered home computers.

He later went on to invent the C5 in 1985. :whistle:

The first electric light was invented by Davy in 1800. (But there was nowhere to plug it in.)

The glass light bulb as we would recognise today was invented by Joseph Swan in 1878 and Thomas Edison in 1879.

The first commercial electric generator was built in New York in 1882 by Edison.

The modern lamps that we use today were invented 1910 by William Coolidge.

James Watt invented the steam engine in 1769. It was a Watt engine that power Edison's generator. It was Edison that named the unit of electrical power after Watt.

Edited by chris54

He later went on to invent the C5 in 1885. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif)

Do you mean 1985 otherwise he would of had to have had a time machine to travel back in time!

Interesting what you wrote about the electric light and how it was three inventors all coming to gether.

JsMumxxx

He later went on to invent the C5 in 1885. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif)

Do you mean 1985 otherwise he would of had to have had a time machine to travel back in time!

JsMumxxx

Yes Sir Clive Sinclair did invent the time machine too, but Dr Who got the patent in first...

You're all taking this a bit too seriously: Jetpack/Sprout soup. Flush toilet/Vindaloo. Mini-skirt/Thermal knickers etc... geddit? :unsure:

Kathryn - I thought Sir walter raleigh invented the bicycle, not the potato...

Chris 54 - Yes, Sinclair did invent the first pocket calculator, and found he had seven. Three in his jacket (two outside, one, breast inside) three in his 'slacks' (2 front, one back) and one breast pocket on his shirt. He lost millions when the first 'Pocketotal' had to be recalled because it didn't recognise the little 'coin pocket' you get inside the r/h pocket of a pair of jeans as a pocket. He argued in court that it was actually a 'pouch', but this was rejected after Skippy The Bush Kangeroo was called as a witness for the prosecution...

J's mum - they haven't quite invented a 'clothes-that-look-good' machine, but experiments are ongoing to reverse-engineer Vivienne Westwood, on the assumption that if her current output makes the wearer look ridiculous a reversed version will make them look stunning. Trinny and Susannah and Gok Kwan are not being retained as consultants on the project.

I personally have a prototype of the Wallace & Gromet 'Bell-Tent-O-Matic' and it works for me, but is not suitable for all body types. (NB: there used to be three body types: Ectomorph/Endomorph and Mesomorph, but in recognition of America's cultural influence on the rest of the world via concepts like 'Size Zero' and 'Fast Food' they have also added 'Stick' and 'Blob'.)

Anyhoo back to the science:

Robert J Van de Graaff invented the Van de Graaff generator and also invented the curly perm

Watt invented the steam engine.

Who?

No Watt

Know what what?

No Watt

No, if I did I wouldn't be asking etc etc ad nauseum until Abbot pokes Costello in the eye...

Or is it Costello pokes Abbot?

Who?

No Watt.........

James Watt invented the steam engine in 1769.

No he didn't - Thomas Savery did.

At 19 you can legally drink in Canada.

Perth, Western Australia is the most remote major city in the world.

:)

Who?

No, Watt?

No, Savery?

No savoury?

No - Savery

What?

No, Watt......

Ewan McTeagle invented both the Caber toss and the surgical support

Alphonse Qwerty invented the typewriter keyboard and also patented the first carpal tunnel compress...

Yes Savery did invent and patented a steam engine in 1698. It was a steam powered pump.

Newcomen reinvented the steam engine in the 1700s, A atmospheric engine which was used to pump water from mines.

What Watt invented and patented in 1769 was an engine with a separate condenser, a much more powerful engine that proved to be the driving force of the industrial revolution.

It could be argued that the ancient Greeks invented the steam engine, they had steam powered "Machines", only toys really, but they used steam.

What most of us forget is that most electricity is still generated using steam engines. Its just that the steam is generated using heat sources other than coal.

Now this is all getting a bit serious.

Edited by chris54

I thought the steam engine was invented by that Welsh fella - Ivor was it?

Not many people know that the Daschaund was originally bred by Frank Furter, one of the original researchers employed by Eyre Methuen to compile the Hackentrope book of lies.

The snow show and the tennis racket were both invented by the same man. At the same time. But he shelved the tennis idea because the rackets didn't work with snowballs. He relaunched the idea shortly after Mary Quant invented thermal underwear...

Oh, BTW I thought Thomas Savery invented Marmite. Or was that Thomas Savery-Spredd?

I do know that the Romans invented pastry - but Delia Smith perfected the recipe.

The Chinese invented fireworks. And the fire extinguisher.

Edited by baddad