dmaher

Advocacy and Research

Hello

Please - Can any Asperger or autistic spectrum adults, their friends, families, partners, carers etc (those people who actually know them) recommend personally any individual(s) in the U.K who have been helpful to them especially regarding advocacy and possibly research (which I would be willing to pay for).

Any help gratefully received.

Many Thanks

dmaher

NAS .... they got advocacy service they proivde and also research .... worth looking into either emailing or ringing them up to find out what they offer to you as a service ???

Thank you for your help.

I have already looked into the NAS and they could not help me.

If you have any other suggestions (especially for adults), I would be grateful.

Many Thanks

DMaher

Advocacy and research are two very different things - could you be a bit clearer about what you are looking for? Is it an advocacy service for yourself? I've looked into this, but really struggled to find anything. You could try mental health services advocacy if that's relevant - there seem to be more of them.

Research in ASD is very difficult due to the hetergenous grouping within ASD. Extrapolation of research findings may often be inappropriate and this is perhaps the greatest problem in evidential based practice. In complex systems reseach is often at best difficult, at worst - impossible.

Is there any area of research that you are interested in in particular?

First of all, thank you for everybody replying to my message. Apologies for delay in replying, but I have had trouble accessing a computer.

1) Karen thanks for your advice but I have got as much out of the NAS as I can over the years.

2) Mumble, again thank your advice. Yes I know advocacy and research are two different things, in my area, I cannot find anybody to do either. If I wrote all the details or a) the research I would like done and B) to the advocacy that I need, then it would take up a great deal of space. It seems simpler to find out if anyone is capable and willing to do some advocacy or research to begin with rather than going into everything now. If you wish for me to be more specific, I will do so if you ask.

3) Ian Jordan, I know research in ASD is very difficult, my case does not fit most criteria, therefore no services or organisations can help and very few have tried - this is precisely why I need a person who is capable and willing to do some research - preferrably not a person who thinks that "research" means "recruitment". So far I haven't found anyone willing to extrapolate research findings - or even look for any and even if complex systems for research are difficult, it would be nice if someone would try and produce proof of actually doing so. So far I don't think anyone in local area can do so, therefore, I am looking for a person who might be capable and willing. Thank you for replying.

Thanks everyone

Dmaher