JeanneA

Help!

whooo hoooo!!......... :thumbs: ..........hope your over the hump, and he can sttle back into his bed routine, does he seem any better today?

Hi Suze, Glen is less anxious, still laying about so obviously not feeling great still. He hasn't been aggressive since starting the tablets so hopefully thats a good sign!

Hi Kathryn, I am still feeling very tired I didn't sleep that much last night even though things were calmer, I have been resting a bit today as hubby has been helping out a lot he's a star!

Hi not sure if I've spoken too soon. Glen was more anxious last night about going to bed and he is anxious this morning hit his head several times I thought he was going to hit me! I had thought the diazepam the doctor prescribed were helping but now I'm not so sure.

Hi not sure if I've spoken too soon. Glen was more anxious last night about going to bed and he is anxious this morning hit his head several times I thought he was going to hit me! I had thought the diazepam the doctor prescribed were helping but now I'm not so sure.

Is he still taking the Diazapam, it might be a good idea to ring the gp for a home visit just to do a physical, has he actually been seen by a GP?

JsMumxx

No Glen hasn't been seen by a GP, he didn't come out he did a diagnosis over the phone which I wasn't too happy about. I think I need to change doctors this surgery stinks (pardon the language)

Due to his Autism and his communication impairments I would insist on a gp visit, home or surgery if you can get him there, I think personally if it where my J I would want a physical examination just to cancel out anything that could be causing actual pain but he cant communicate it.

JsMumxxx

The doctor is going to come out and see Glen in the morning after surgery. You are right about the doctor seeing him J's mum, I will let you know what the doc says!

Hi I rang docs a friend picked up prescription: diazepam 2mg, 1 tablet 3 times a day. Hope this helps anyone had this for their child? Glen is really getting anxious and aggressive again so hope the tablet works soon!

Hi JeanneA

Sorry to hear about this situation.

Are you saying a doctor prescribed Diazepam for your son without even coming to see him and do checks on him? I find this seriously disturbing. Personally I believe this would be very bad practice and bordering on negligence. I know you are (understandably) desperate, but no doctor should be willing to do this. I took Diazepam for a while when my son was difficult at night and I was away with the fairies and was not safe to be let out on my own! Can't imagine how this might make your son feel, possibly worse, even more disorientated?

Does listening to any sort of music calm your son? Or as previously suggested, an old familiar dvd (disney etc)? Does he have a cuddly toy, or favourite blanket?

Drugs aren't the only answer, and please don't take lisac's advice of drinking. Alcohol is NEVER the answer, it just makes it even more difficult to cope. If you need help to cope in the short term you should also see your doctor. Also involve anyone you can to give you as a family any support that is available (though I know how difficult this can be :wallbash: ).

Best wishes >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi Manda, each day just seems to get worse. Glen asks for his pillow and quilt as soon as he gets up, I try to 'hang him out' for a while then bring them down for him. This just isn't like Glen. I am so glad the doctor is coming out but I know it won't be before 12.00 after morning surgery. The diazepam has helped calm Glen's aggression its only short term use. I will bring it up with the doctor today. I think Glen needs some anti-biotics because his body isn't obviously fighting this virus.

Mandapanda chill out . How do you know it is never the answer! Stop coming out with cliches.. :rolleyes: I find alchohol can be a short term answer , two glasses of wine can alter ones perspective on things for a while , much safer than me taking diazepam or any other drug. It has been a coping mechanism in the past for me , thank god for wine :), x

Doctor has been. Glen has just got a cold virus, he examined him thoroughly and found nothing. The Doctor did say that these virus's can take up to 2 weeks to go. We just have to keep encouraging Glen to do things etc, not an easy thing to do though

Edited by JeanneA

Give him the largest dose of painkillers. 2 disolvable paracetamol plus 2 disolvable neurofen meltlets every four hours on the dot. Id give my son a slighly extra dose of risperdal as well .

much safer than me taking diazepam or any other drug.

Hi lisac

Rather contradictory advice from you, I believe!

Hi JeanneA

Not sure what your thinking is on the holding off with the pillow and quilt - I would go with the flow, he obviously needs the extra comfort at the moment (don't we all when we feel poorly?).

Best wishes >:D<<'>

Whoa guys - calm down and please stop scoring points off one another! Please respect each other's point of view: everyone copes with parental stress in their own way and no one has the right to judge anyone else's way of doing it.

Ta,

K x

Doctor has been. Glen has just got a cold virus, he examined him thoroughly and found nothing. The Doctor did say that these virus's can take up to 2 weeks to go. We just have to keep encouraging Glen to do things etc, not an easy thing to do though

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I thought I would say there are some horrid cold type strains of viral illness around this year.

I had a bugg before christamas and felt dreadful for a couple of weeks.I do not usually go to the doctor but went to the emergency GP clinic one weekend when I had been coughing up blood stained sputum. :sick::sick:

I have previously had very mild asthma but had not been so unwell before.

The GP would not prescribe anything and just said it was viral.GPs are very reluctant to prescribe antibiotics now unless they are certain that a person has a bacterial infection.

So I do sympathise with both yourself and Glen.

Karen.

Hi Karen thanks for your comments. I was hoping the doctor would prescribe something but like you said they don't in this situation. I am very concerned about how and when I will get Glen back to School, the longer he is home the harder it will be as he has been happier at home at the best of times.

Hi Karen thanks for your comments. I was hoping the doctor would prescribe something but like you said they don't in this situation. I am very concerned about how and when I will get Glen back to School, the longer he is home the harder it will be as he has been happier at home at the best of times.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I have found it very difficult to decide when to send Ben back to school when he has been poorly.

In the past I have pushed him back too soon because I was worried he would get too comfortable at home.He has then not coped because he was not yet well enough.

Other times I have kept Ben off a bit longer only to realise he is bored and I am frustrated because he could have been at school. :(

Karen.

Hi Karen yes I know the problem I really haven't known what to do. I did however ring the School this morning and said it is unlikely Glen will be back until Monday, which will be a day off two weeks that he has been at home. Glen is still wanting his pillow and quilt downstairs as soon as he gets up in the morning I put him off as long as I can but usually I give in and bring them down mid morning. I think Glen is now too comfortable at home in my opinion but I don't want to send him back too soon and he is not ready, so I feel leaving him at home until Monday is probably the right decision.

I think I've changed my mind this morning, I did think Glen was getting better but it seems to me that Glen is still feeling poorly. I don't think now he will be going to School on Monday, just when I thought things were getting back to normal!

Its just after 2 weeks of Glen being at home I had thought that he would be back to School next week especially as he has only had a cold virus as apposed to a flu virus. The doctor came out last Tuesday and thoroughly examined him and found nothing un-toward so no anti-biotics could be given he just said it is a cold virus that can take up to 2 weeks to go. The 2 weeks is now up so what am I to do?

I dont know. Just remember whatever you decide to do will be the wrong thing :wallbash: . May be send him in but dont be suprised if the school call you to pick him up, worth a try , x

Hi Lisa, it is such a difficult decision to make at the moment if I get him to School on Monday like you I think they will probably ring me up to go and collect him. :(

It could be a good thing for him to get back into the routine of at least getting up and going in, even if he doesn't stay there very long.

I would talk to school, the school nurse even, at the end of the day if he is still poorly he is still poorly and I daught school will want him to return until he is well, If he clearly isnt well then keep him off for another couple of days and then review it, colds effect people in different ways, he may need a bit longer, anyway if your worried call school on Monday.

JsMumxx

Thanks so much for all the replies. It isn't easy to make the right decision I did think that Glen would be ok at his club today, somehow he loves going so thats what made me think that he still isn't feeling well.