Sign in to follow this  
babnye1

SALT and social communication difficulties

My son (6 nearly 7) is being assessed for an ASD. He had a SALT report in Oct which showed normal range of language etc (CELF 4) but the SALT agreed he has some social communciation difficulties and recommended an Early Bird Plus course which we start next week.

The SALT, after this hour long assessment, discharged him. It is normal practise here for the school to be left to deal with this using their 'toolkit' and a TA to do social skills groups. He had about 4 sessions last term but that is it.

Is it right for SALT just to discharge him like this and leave it to untrained TAs?

If you look further down the Education forum to the date 26th September posted by moderator Kathryn. You will find a post about SALT Guidance. This is towards the Statementing process, which you are not at yet. But I think it is worthwhile you having a look at it.

The document is SEND: Best practice guidelines. I've just checked the rcslt site and I can see it listed in the 2009 News archive but apparently you now need to log in as a member to access it, which I didn't before. I can't see how to join either. :huh: Sorry folks!

If I can I'll go back to the person who alerted me to it and ask them how to get hold of it.

Did anyone happen to save a copy?

K x

hi there, you can get information about this from your local LEA, or at least they will guide you to some1 who can help!

also, go to your gp and see if they can offer any advice on where you go next

gd luck

xx