Tally

Poorly Cat

My cat is about 18 years old and now has multiple (some ultimately fatal) health conditions. It may sound silly, but I promised my cat I would let him go when he is ready - as long as he keeps his side of the bargain and lets me know when he is ready. I think it was really my way of dealing with it, to say outloud that he is going to die soon, though I fully intend to keep my promise.

The vet is talking temporary measures such as steroids and feeding anything he will eat rather than worrying about a balanced diet of proper cat food.

My cat is going back to the vet next week when we have his full records from the last vet, and we will talk more then about what to do for the best with regards to treatment (or not). Stopping his treatment feels like giving up on him, but it doesn't seem to be improving his quality of life.

Just feeling a bit down really, because whatever we do, Mr Cat will be making his way to the big cattery in the sky within the next couple of months. I'll miss the dear old chap.

Oh well, better go and poach him some cod . . . and I'm not spoiling him, honest, the vet told me to feed him fish and white meat! :whistle:

Go ahead and spoil him! He's going to die regardless - it's a sad fact - so let him enjoy the last of his days. As soon as you think his quality of life is bringing him down, that's the time to have him put down. He's lived a good long life by the sounds of it and as much as you want to keep him you have to think of his needs at the end of the day.

It's very sad - I've had 9 cats so far and lost 5 of them (as well as a dog, some birds, a hamster and some fish). I cried every single time and it still hurts when I think about each of them but unfortunately death is a part of life so we just have to be aware of what short time we have with those that we love and enjoy it whilst it's there!

That doesn't sound silly at all, in fact I made the same promise to my dog before he died several months ago. Luckily I think he must have heard me and worked out how to communicate that he was ready to go by whining all the time and sticking very close to me (sometimes I'm fairly sure that dog understood me better than most humans!). It turned out he was correct also because the vet discovered he had some very bad liver and kidney problems.

Spoil your cat :) the little guy might as well go out in style

As Meethoss says, spoil him, and enjoy spoiling him! We finally had to have Giggles put to sleep this time last year, she was about 14 years old.

You are bound to be feeling down, and you will probably feel that way for quite some time, it is only natural. I think it is lovely that you made that promise to your cat though. It is so important to be prepared to take that responsibility when our pets are at the end of their lives, for me it is all part of being a good owner and giving them a good life. You will know when he is ready to go, just trust yourself, and him. Like Meethoss i have lost several cats too, and i remember all to vividly how much it hurts to say goodbye to them. I also have lots of happy memories of them all too, like i am sure you will have.

Enjoy the rest of your time with him >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Mr Cat and his mother were my first cats. We had cats as a family when I was a child, but these were my first cats of my own. His mother died five years ago, I'd only had her one year then. I let her go at the right time, and I hope I will do the same for Mr Cat.

He was terribly nervous and malnourished when I first got him as he'd been badly neglected by his first owner. It took a very long time for him to come out from under the bed and we couldn't think of a name for him because we didn't know what he was like. At first he was known as "the other cat," but I decided Mr Cat sounded more dignified. By the time he came out from under the bed, that name had stuck. He eventually turned into a lovely, affectionate cat with a strong personality. I'm pleased to have given him a few good years at the end of a difficult life.

He normally likes to sleep on my bed. He's everso good, curls up next to me and stays there all night long until he pats my face at 8am. Just recently though, he's taken to sleeping on the printer or in the kitchen cupboard :wacko:

Oh Tally, I'm so sorry :(>:D<<'>

As you know our little rescue cat had to put down on Dec 23rd...it was easier in a way because she was already under anaesthetic and the vet knew that even had she brought her round she would have only had a couple more days so we didn't have to make any really difficult judgement calls.

Hope you have some lovely times with Mr Cat before it's the right time to let him go >:D<<'>

Bidx

Just recently though, he's taken to sleeping on the printer or in the kitchen cupboard :wacko:

Hi Tally

In my experience, when cats start going in strange places it is a sign of being very unwell and therefore probably unhappy. So if it can't be sorted out for him then it may soon be time to let him go.

Very sorry for you, but how lucky you were to find each other.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

He seems a bit brighter today and is enjoying his special cod and mackerel flavoured rice pudding. Last night he was on my bed when I went to sleep, he was gone during the night, but back again by the time I woke up in the morning. He even came and sat on my lap earlier, which is a rare treat.

As well as everything else, he has an ear infection which he just doesn't seem to be able to fight off. It got quite bad, but now he's on ear drops to help clear the blockage. Maybe he was just grumpy because his ear was uncomfortable.

The funny thing is that his arthritis seems to have disappeared and he is now able to jump onto the kitchen worktops, wash more frequently and curl up in a ball, which he was unable to do for several years. Odd that this should happen now!

I am going to try to see the vet next Monday and hopefully they will have all his records from the old vet by then and we can make a decision about his future.

Hope the improved mobility means that he's feeling a bit more comfortable. Cod and mackerel rice pud - well each to their own, I guess! :)

K x

He is lucky to have you as his human.

I absolutely love this statement - it's so true! Cats don't belong to us at all, we belong to them and they damn well make sure we know that! :D

You're so right, Meethoss.

I loved a statement I saw on a mug or coaster recently (can't remember where) but it said:

Dogs come when you call them. Cats take a message and get back to you.

:lol:

K x

He seems a bit brighter today and is enjoying his special cod and mackerel flavoured rice pudding. Last night he was on my bed when I went to sleep, he was gone during the night, but back again by the time I woke up in the morning. He even came and sat on my lap earlier, which is a rare treat.

As well as everything else, he has an ear infection which he just doesn't seem to be able to fight off. It got quite bad, but now he's on ear drops to help clear the blockage. Maybe he was just grumpy because his ear was uncomfortable.

The funny thing is that his arthritis seems to have disappeared and he is now able to jump onto the kitchen worktops, wash more frequently and curl up in a ball, which he was unable to do for several years. Odd that this should happen now!

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> I am certainly not a cat expert.I just managed to feed my friend's cat for a few days over christmas without an escape.

However I wondered if the vet started steroids. :unsure:

I have known doctors prescribe steroids for people who are in end stages of illness.Steroids can make a big difference to quality of life for a while.

I hope you have some good times with Mr Cat . >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Karen.

The vet did give him an injection of steroids and a combination of vitamins, and his ear drops also contain a small amount of steroids. He said Mr Cat could have the injections regularly if they help. Mainly it was to boost his appetite because his appetite is very poor as a side effect of his thyroid medication. He was already underweight, so this has had quite a dramatic effect.

He is eating more, but I think it's more to do with what I'm feeding him - fish and meat instead of cat food - it's not a dramatic change either. He also seems brighter, but this may be to do with the ear drops taking effect and not feeling so uncomfortable due to his blocked ear. I don't know if it's to do with the steroids at all.

I am taking lots of photos of Mr Cat. My last cat died very suddenly and I'd only had her for one year, and I've always regretted not having many photos of her.

I still haven't rung the vet, but it's on my list of jobs for tomorrow. Hopefully they can fit him in on Saturday or Monday.

This morning he ate 3 little cubes of meat - it took 2 attempts to get him to eat one with the thyroid tablet in, and he ate one with the antibiotic in, but extracted the tablet. I gave him another one with the antibiotic tablet in but he would not eat that piece of meat at all, nor the tuna I eventually mashed the tablet into. I left him half a packet of Sheba when I went to work. The dish was empty when I got home, but Mitzi had been eating it when I left so I don't think Mr Cat ate any. This evening he's had a bit of a lick of the other half of the Sheba. So far today, all he's eaten is 3 tiny cubes of chicken and a bit of jelly.

The blood tests show the thyroid tablets are doing what they should, and they will extend his life by helping to keep his heart rate healthy - this is important as he has a rapid heart rate due to his heart condition. But what the vet doesn't see is that he is not eating on the tablets and is losing weight as a result. As he is already underweight, he is becoming very bony and is uncomfortable sitting and lying down to relax and when I try to brush him. He is getting very matted, which is also uncomfortable. He is generally not very happy either and I don't want to extend his life for this.

I want to stop giving him the thyroid tablets and let him enjoy what time he has left, but the vet doesn't agree. The only reason I'm giving him the tablets is because the law says pet owners have a responsibility to treat pets for illnesses and I could be prosecuted and banned from keeping pets if I stop giving him the pills that are making him miserable.

It's really tough isn't it? Where does our responsibility stop, I wonder, with veterinary science advancing all the time so that animals can receive complex treatment for an ever wider range of illnesses.

If all the tablets are doing is prolonging his life there seems little point to them. Has the vet told you you have an obligation to give him the tablets?

K x

It may be that the vet wants him to have these tablets as they will make him more healthy and therefore happier in one way, but then there is also a negative aspect as he's eating less. I doubt the vet would prescribe the tablets knowing that it would make things worse, maybe discuss the situation with him?

Although, it sounds to me that you may be coming up to make a difficult decision, I'm afraid :(

I was having a bit of a down day yesterday and blew things out of proportion a bit :wacko:

Tablet-time went well this morning! I rung the vet to ask for more antibiotic tablets to replace the four that eventually got destroyed yesterday. They didn't seem at all surprised about what happened.

The thing that is making him uncomfortable is the ear infection. Although he has many other problems, he is actually very happy and content apart from the ear, which I think is more irritating than painful.

Since he started the thyroid tablets he does eat less and has some days when he hardly eats at all and I think he is going rapidly downhill. Yesterday was one of those. Although late last night, he ate a big meal and has been eating well again today!

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Glad to hear things are better today :)

Have you asked the vet about the/your position if you chose not to give certain tablets but just to give those that would make him comfortable? I know that as a human I have the choice of what medication I take - doctors can only advise - and I would assume something similar would apply to animals, after all, you aren't choosing to give something that would shorten life, just choosing not to give something that would painfully and unnecessarily prolong suffering.

I do feel the vet is genuinely advising what he feels is best for the cat. The blood tests prove that the pills are doing what they should, and will extend his life.

My mum has offered to come to the vet with me to help me explain more clearly how the side effects are affecting Mr Cat, and I will take her up on her offer if I decide to take him off the tablets. But for now I think I am going to see how he is when the ear infection improves before making a decision.

I don't have scales at home to weigh Mr Cat, but after his good meal last night I could see his belly was bigger. He was very content and slept on my bed all night, rather than hiding away. He ate well at breakfast, and was waiting for me when I got home - he's normally fast asleep!

The signs you state are good. I would resist talking about prolonging life and think more about keeping him happy and comfortable for as long as possible. It's possible to prolong life but make life worse, ya see.