smiley1590

why does AS & dyspraxia cause paranoid thoughts ?

why paranoia so common in both AS and dyspraxia what do you think is it about the condition low self-esteem,anxiety ,depression ??? or all three? i havn't made my mind up! all i know is it drives me mad wish 'magic pill' to take away the 'constant headache and tiredness of MH' in AS! grrrr.

can anyone explain better than me? and personally relate to people laughing at them or talking about them i know wondering doing a course about social comms skills whether us being socila anx and confused just adds to a stressful situation for us even more so!?

just wondered what others thoughts and opinions are on this subject!

XKLX

Hello

i was really sensitive to gluten, dairy, msg, aspartame and benzoates in my lifestyle and had to cut them out.

Very occasionally do i have something with msg or aspartame in it (never any of the others knowingly).

It was mainly the benzoates that were causing the paranoid thoughts. Msg caused the physical headaches also

lack of sleep. i think the perfectionist tendencies of autistics cause the low self esteem, anxiety and depression.

5htp helped with the depression, taurine helped with the anxiety. Magnesium is a calming mineral along with calcium.

Alexis

I don't think AS or dyspraxia would directly cause paranoid thoughts. I do think AS can make us more prone to things like depression and anxiety, which can then in turn lead to paranoid thoughts. Paranoia is a mental health problem which can be treated.

I agree with Tally - they are not directly linked, that is having them does not mean you will experience those problems, there is just an increased chance. I largely believe in "mind over matter" - that you are in control of yourself (body and mind) and that you can solve your issues (most of them, not all) through thought and persistence.

Edited by Meethoss

Hello

i was really sensitive to gluten, dairy, msg, aspartame and benzoates in my lifestyle and had to cut them out.

Very occasionally do i have something with msg or aspartame in it (never any of the others knowingly).

It was mainly the benzoates that were causing the paranoid thoughts. Msg caused the physical headaches also

lack of sleep. i think the perfectionist tendencies of autistics cause the low self esteem, anxiety and depression.

5htp helped with the depression, taurine helped with the anxiety. Magnesium is a calming mineral along with calcium.

Alexis

Hmm that brings up questions for me since I piled on the pounds after always being thin 3 and a half(almost 4 ) years ago at the same time when aspartame became common in soft drinks, before that my weight would fluctuate but I would be slightly underweight or slightly overweight by a few pounds when now im 4-6 stone overweight.

For about the last 4 months I have been buying brand name soft drinks and making an effort to drink stuff without aspartame and my weight stuck without going up like it used to but started drinking aspartame products in the last week and gained about 5 pounds despite relatively starving food wise.