Sign in to follow this  
babnye1

Developmental Coordination Disorder

DS has been going to an OT for assessment and she confirmed today that he has DCD which she distinguished from dyspraxia on the grounds that DCD was a developmental lag and did not involve imparirments in the ability to plan thoughts etc.

I have been ###### well banging my head against a brick wall with school about these issues for months but the OT says she is willing to come to school for next IEP review and explain.

It is so draining as DS is still waiting to see if there is also a diagnosis of AS (we're on the waiting list) and essentially, despite being on SA+, he gets no additional help. The Early Bird Plus course bangs on about home/school communication while his home/school book sits in his book bag as he forgets to give it in!

I was also told today that DS had 'some' social skills classes last term (after the SALT confirmed social communciation issues and recommended intervention) but that no more are planned until summer to prepare him for transition to Yr 3.

So, here we have a child with DCD (obvious from his handwriting), and SCD and school are doing nothing. Are all schools like this or should I rejoice as they clearly think he is 'cured'!