Sign in to follow this  
jimssmom

Complex Communcation Teacher Advisors

Hiya!

I've been to look at another school for my son who is 3. he's currently in nursery and the team involved with his care want to move him to another school. It's not called a special school, but its a school thats got focus provision for communication problems and has complex communication teacher advisors... Anyone ever heard of these?

They sound like a great idea, but i've never heard of them!!

Can you ask the school itself to explain what that means. It may mean that the teachers have got an additional qualification, or training or experience. Or it maybe just a name that sounds good but doesn't actually mean much IYKWIM.

You could also speak with your LEAs Autism Outreach Teacher and the Educational Psychologist as well and ask them about the school, whether it has experience and expertise in ASDs and what the title CCA means and what extra funding or support that school receives.

Also find out if you need a Statement to get a place there.

Can you ask the school itself to explain what that means. It may mean that the teachers have got an additional qualification, or training or experience. Or it maybe just a name that sounds good but doesn't actually mean much IYKWIM.

You could also speak with your LEAs Autism Outreach Teacher and the Educational Psychologist as well and ask them about the school, whether it has experience and expertise in ASDs and what the title CCA means and what extra funding or support that school receives.

Also find out if you need a Statement to get a place there.

Hi sally44

The school have said that my son doesn't need a statement to attend, but I will definatly ask more about the CCA's. Perhaps it's another name for the Autism Outreach Teachers?

Thanks for the reply, You've given me more to think about x

If you don't need a Statement for a place at this school then what is their entry criteria? The school should be able to tell you this.

Even if you don't need a Statement to get a placement, remember that a Statement is the only legally enforceable document that specifies the provision, and the amount of it, in terms of hours and professional support.

As you are posting on this forum I presume your child is on the spectrum?? And I presume that this school takes children on the spectrum??

So don't be put off asking for an assessment by being told you don't need it. If your child needs input from SALT, OT, teacher for SPLD, support during breaktimes/playtimes, social skills group etc then he will need it. And even if this placement does not need a Statement, the next school probably will, and they take 26 weeks in total from start to finish - and that is only if you agree with the Proposed Statement.