Sign in to follow this  
Carrera74

DS still not settled at school, just getting worse

My 12 year old son attends a BESD school which I do not think is the right school for him for many reasons. An early review was called in December as he was showing a lot of disruptive behaviour and his behaviour at school was detriorating further and impacting on his learning.

It was agreed at the review that his statement would be amended to add the EP, SALT and behavioural plans that were brought to the meeting as everyone agreed that he had gone downhill since his last review (May). There is an admin shortage at the LEA and I am still waiting for his statement. Once I receive the statement I will be appealing against the named school.

Since his return to school after Christmas DS has not had one day where he hasn't disrupted a class. School are following his new behavioural plan/personal learning plan to the letter but it is not working. I know this is because he is not in the right environment for him. They are only dealing with the behaviour not the cause behind it. No matter how much I try and tell them something is triggering this behaviour they do not believe me. The HT is adamant my DS is just looking for trouble and is picking and choosing when to misbehave. HT is also happy that his school are meeting his needs.

I don't know what to do. I am waiting for the statement to appeal against part 4. The link worker has told me they are trying everything on the behavioural plan and it's not working. DS has assaulted staff twice this week. Today he has been restrained by 3 teachers and taken to the peace room. He has come home bruised and upset. I know staff have to restrain children when they are a danger to themselves/others but this has been happening for a month now with no sign of anything improving. The only thing I am gaining from this is more evidence that the school is not right for him but it's breaking my heart.

I've asked school if they will back me up to get the EP back in. He met with my DS but his report was very positive. There was nothing mentioned about his behaviour even though that was why I asked him to see him. The linkworker said she will check with the HT if he will back me up on this. I feel as I got the EP involved last time and school said he wasn't really that bad that he may think I am wasting his time. The HT is also very defensive and thinks DS is just putting it on for a reaction.

I hope the school have now sent off the review report (I think it is supposed to go off within 10 days, and no amount of admin shortage is a reason to delay it). I presume the LA have agreed to amend the Statement, and you are waiting for them to send it. Keep hassling them.

School sent their comments (the EP, SALT and behavioural plan produced at the review) within 10 days. It's the LEA that are dragging their feet. They said it will be sent 'in due course'. Why don't they understand it's children's lives that are being put on hold whilst they produce this paperwork :(

Hi.If your son has a diagnosis of ASD there are specific guidelines which relate to appropriate use of physical intervention.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/6059/PI%20Guidance.pdf

The full document is on this link.However important information worth bearing in mind includes the requirement for a risk assessment where an individual is identified as exhibiting challenging behaviour.The use of the minimal level of physical intervention necessary.Also the requirement for documentation of incidents where physical intervention has been required and appropriate training for staff.There is also an expectation that staff will seak to identify potential triggers for challenging behaviour and to work to reduce the likelihood of behaviour escalating where preventative action is possible.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A