Tabby-cat

Another newbie!

Hi,

I have recently joined and have already found a lot of useful information! I have an almost 9 year old daughter who we are trying to get diagnosed with Asperger's. We could have had this done 3 years ago, but decided not to due to 'labelling', though she is now struggling with certain things at school and everyone involved with her feels she would benefit from a diagnosis. I have visited the GP who is referring her to a Paediatrician, so the ball is rolling :unsure:

She had a statement, but this was taken away after 2 years as she was doing things that children without statements weren't doing! So, we could have a big battle on our hands when it comes to secondary school. Hey ho...!

Thanks for reading!

:)

Hi there, have a 7 year old daughter who is being assessed for possible aspergers at the moment. although the consultant said she wants to sit on the fence for a bit longer when we saw her last week. We also have concerns about labbelling though especially my OH.

Nice to chat to someone else in a similar situation. B)

Hi, nice to meet you. We are just starting the ball rolling with a diagnosis of Aspergers for our 6yr old son too. We have just had an appt with the GP who has referred us to a community pead, have no idea how long it will take for an appt to come through. He has been on an IEP at school since November because of his social and communication issues.

Great to meet someone at the same stage, best of luck with everything,

xx

Thank you both for your kind words :) I thought I 'knew' I wasn't the only one in this situation, but coming here and reading the messages I've been like "oh my! That is exactly like my situation", and it's great! :D

have no idea how long it will take for an appt to come through.

My GP said we should have an appointment with Paediatrician by July (seeing as how we are halfway through February it seems a long way off!). Hope it comes rather sooner than that! Best of luck both of you!

x

Thanks for that, I have to agree, I was sure that there would be someone out there who was going through the same as me! Can't tell you how relieved I am!! I am really grateful for the support. Thanks for the info about the appointment, we are in the North West, I don't have any knowledge of services up here. I hope that you get something through quicker than July.

xx

I guess appointments just depend on how rushed off their feet they are when they get each referral?! My daughter was referred to an OT regarding pencil grip etc and given an appointment for TWO YEARS later! I still have the paperwork about it! :wallbash:

Ah well, we'll all get there! :)

Welcome aboard tabby-cat!!!:robbie: Edited by fieldmouse

Good news about the appointment samh76. Remember to take some notes with you in case you forget everything when you get there.

Also remember that you don't have to talk about sensitive stuff in front of your child, they should have someone available to take care of him while you talk.

We found this tricky because Dd3 gets really upset if we talk to strangers about her in front of her. B)

We have got an appt at the local hospital Tabby Cat - 24th Feb ... Yikes!

xx

How did the appointment go? Hope it went ok for all concerned and you are happy with the way things are going :)