Sign in to follow this  
hedders

Mistakes and loopholes in the system

This involves Education, Health and Medical Proffessionals.

My dd was dischrged by pead when she was 5 as the school said she had no diffculties where infact she had academic / emotional diffculties and i had concerns with her development

A the same time the SLT discharged her saying her speech and language problems were normal and would outgrow them dispite detailed letters from my self explaining concerns.

DD was removed from all intervention programmes in yr 1 as i made a complaint to LEA about our concerns not being listen too in school.

When dd was 7 i got referral to slt her diffculties were still contining to be persisant it was noted by slt on assessment that low score on pragmatic and segmatic was because she was tired and discharged.

I have a letter stating noting was wrong with our dd from school

The school were stuggling with dd progress in all subjects during yr 2 and continued to inform external professionals nothing was wrong.

Pead sided with schools comments and said we had high expectations.

DD left keystage 1 on level 1

Junior School started IEP intervention programmes after a yr no improvement attainment levels haven't changed.

Yr 4 again got a referral to SLT team the school as usual we have no concerns, she is making good progress so dd discharged

A week later Senco sends us IEP profile stating she has MODERATE LD ???

Intervention programmes only cover a fraction of her diffculties and i had to prove that she hasn't progessed in her writing and been on level 1c since yr 2.

Mananged to get a referral to Ed PSY she assesed dd without our knowledge or consent as the school didn't inform us.

She was instructed by school to assess on writing only and the school told her they have no concerns.

Ed Psy NOT aware Senco has said dd has MLD and was shocked.

Pead now tells us to come to terms that our dd has MLD ?? But on what assessment how do we know she has just because a Senco says so.

Why in 4 yrs under pead didn't they come up with this - i thought they deal with development

The list is endless as no-one will answer our questions.

Edited by hedders

Hi Hedders,

I can see how upsetting this whole saga must have been for you all :(

The only thing that comes to mind is that sometimes it can take some time to establish something like MLD because the 'normal' parameters of development are so wide when children are very young.

I would have thought you are entitled to ask for a GP referral back to the community paed. as your DD has now been identified as having LD, asking for a fresh look at her development so that things can be clarified in the light of the situation now. I know you are justifiably angry, but I would try to come across as calmly as possible.

Once things are clarified by the paed. then I would tackle education.

Good luck >:D<<'>

Bid :)

Edited by bid

When dd wasa discharged by pead at 5 i did get her under a nother one and still is, they told us it's nothing to do with them, as she has educational diffculties but will support us with open appoinments and feel they dont need to see her unless we request.

Got a message from Ed PS on answerphone she did recieve my file and was fully aware of MLD even though she acted suprised when i quered this to her the other day, and still i get asked what my concerns are ??

Just so confusing.

Edited by hedders

At this stage you are trying to find out 'who' diagnosed MLD (I know you've said the school have, but they are not qualified to do that). So you can either, write a letter to the school SENCO asking them what suitably qualified professional saw your daughter to receive a diagnosis of MLD. In the same letter you can ask why you were not told about this and other appointments by professionals coming to see your daughter in school and state that you want to be present to meet all future professionals. Ask them why they asked the Ed Psych to ONLY assess handwriting and not look at her learning and lack of progress overall.

Or go to your GP or paediatrician, although they may not be willing to state anything about educational provision they must have that diagnosis on her file, if so they can put in writing when they saw and assessed your daughter and gave the dx of MLD - ask them to put it in writing for you. Say you have no idea 'how' this diagnosis has been given as it is only the SENCO who has said it and you have no letter stating this diagnosis (I have a letter from the paediatrician stating when she and the clinical psychologist saw my child and it states their findings are in line with a diagnosis of ASD and sensory integration disorder - so ask for a copy of the letter about your daughter).

Another route you could take (if you feel she is on the autistic spectrum) is to find Special Schools for autism that will see and assess for autism.