Sign in to follow this  
justine1

GCSE examinations

Hi everyone

I am hoping someone will be able to answer my question,I am wanting to sit a GCSE english exam but I am not studying the subject with any school or college is it still possible for me to do so?

I have studied before,I completed a senior certificate in another country at the age of 17 I passed 6 subjects,my english is at grade D(58%) however according to most people the qualification is higher than GCSE but under A level so more probable AS level.I have applied to Uni and have a conditional place for September to study nursing,I have already completed a Open Uni course and I am also doing two more which end in June,I am passing both and they are at level 2.So I do have a good command of the english language as I am able to write 1200 word essays at a university level.I just dont have the time to read all of what I have already done at school 10 years ago,so I am hoping just to sit the exam because I know I will pass.

I did contact Learndirect but they cant give me a timescale on when I will complete the course and I need to finish in July.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Edited by justine1

You should be able to sit the exam at any exam centre. You will have to pay exam fees to the exam board, and may also need to pay a fee to the exam centre. You could try ringing around local schools and colleges and speaking to the examinations secretary to see what they say.

It may be worth having a couple of lessons with a private tutor, as they can help you with exam technique and perhaps offer you some practice papers. They might also be able to help you with finding an exam centre, as many tutors are teachers by day.

Have you actually spoken to someone at the university, rather than just gone through the normal application procedure? As you are already studying at university level, GCSE grades are not really relevant and like you say, your courses already demonstrate a good understanding of written English. English GCSE at grade C is often required for university, but the entry requirements are often lower for mature students. If you haven't already done this, it's well worth talking with someone to see if your existing qualifications are adequate after all.

Hi

I've speak to someone at Uni because in Scotland (my guess is that the same or equivalent will apply in England) is that for mature students ie not school leavers, you may be eligible for something called APL (Accredited Prior Learning). That is where your past qualifications and work experience mean that you may be fast-tracked through a course. I was able to do that when I got my Diploma.

Caroline.

You should be able to sit the exam at any exam centre. You will have to pay exam fees to the exam board, and may also need to pay a fee to the exam centre. You could try ringing around local schools and colleges and speaking to the examinations secretary to see what they say.

It may be worth having a couple of lessons with a private tutor, as they can help you with exam technique and perhaps offer you some practice papers. They might also be able to help you with finding an exam centre, as many tutors are teachers by day.

Have you actually spoken to someone at the university, rather than just gone through the normal application procedure? As you are already studying at university level, GCSE grades are not really relevant and like you say, your courses already demonstrate a good understanding of written English. English GCSE at grade C is often required for university, but the entry requirements are often lower for mature students. If you haven't already done this, it's well worth talking with someone to see if your existing qualifications are adequate after all.

HI Tally

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.

I went to the Uni in Nov for an interview and I gave them my school qualification,but because its from abroad they just saw grade D and assume its the same as GCSE grade D so that is why they said I need to do a maths and english course,I am doing a maths course already so that is fine,the english course at O.U had already taken all new students and the next one is in Sept so again its to late for me.

I think I may try and speak to someone from the Uni again and see from there.I know people from my previous course who are attending Uni now and they just took a maths and english test when they went for their interview(they had no GCSE just the course Health and Social care certificate.)I also have 6 years care experience but it seems to count for nothing.So frustrated really,as I am working so hard to get in,I am doing human biology at level 2 and I get an average of 75% for my essays so I know I can do it,its just all the red tape.

Anyway thanks again I will definatley look into the tutor idea after talking to the Uni again.

I completed a senior certificate in another country at the age of 17 I passed 6 subjects,my English is at grade D(58%) however according to most people the qualification is higher than GCSE but under A level so more probable AS level.

If the qualification you already have is equivalent to or higher than the GCSE Grade C you require, it would be a lot easier (and I think cheaper) to get a statement of comparability to accompany your qualification certificate from UK NARIC than to take the GCSE exam.

If the qualification you already have is equivalent to or higher than the GCSE Grade C you require, it would be a lot easier (and I think cheaper) to get a statement of comparability to accompany your qualification certificate from UK NARIC than to take the GCSE exam.

Hi Mumble, both myself and my brother contacted NARIC before and they were useless I am afraid,they hadnt a clue what the equavilancy is and they took £40 for they application.Thank you anyway for the advice >:D<<'>

My daughter didn't do GCSE's but subsequently passed level 2 maths and English at college. She was told for the purpose of qualifying for entry to further study where GCSE passes were required, level 2 is equivalent to GCSE A-C passes. Hope that helps.

I'm assuming you did Matric? It should be considered as at least equivalent to GCSE, and probably half an A level, as you say, so do query what you have been told. Remind them that Matric is taken in the final year at school and gains direct entry into an SA uni. so is actually more like an A level than a GCSE.

I sympathise - having come to the UK long ago with foreign qualifications myself . Once you've studied here and got a qualification with a label everyone actually understands, it gets easier! :rolleyes:

K x

Your local authority will probably have ann adult education department you could ring to get advice - look them up online under your local council, or make enquiries at your local college.

I know that one of our local colleges offers a fast track english and maths gcse course which can be done in four weeks and would probably be ideal for someone in your position.

Good luck

Hi.

If you have the knowledge to pass the exam but just need somewhere to sit it I think it may be possible to sit as an external candidate.

I left school to start nursing whilst in upper sixth.I still wanted to sit A level RS.My teacher sent me work through the post and when I came to sit the exam I went to a hall booked for that purpose on the day.

I am not sure how you would go about finding a centre a booking a place though.....it would probably be worth contacting the exam board.

Karen.

http://www.qcda.gov.uk/6208.aspx

If you go to this page and look up the links to awarding bodies and then look for information on ''private candidates'' that might help.

Edited by Karen A

Thank you everyone.

I have found a place that will allow me to sit the exam and I can also be tutored at an extra cost.However,I am now trying to explore the possibilities of not sitting the exam and getting evidence to back the fact that my certificate is higher than GCSE.I have gone back to NARIC(the fee is gone up to £48) but hopefully I will get somewhere this time.I also,after hours of googling,found something from Cambridge Uni that states that my grade is equivalent to AS level English,so I will print it off and show the uni.

I will have to sit the exam if all else fails but the intake for this year would have passed,I only have two weeks to send everything in,so it would mean that I can only start Uni next year.Oh well,will keep you all posted thanks again.

can you contact the uni and ask them how they suggest you get the GCSE in such a short time. if they have to work it out they might just realise how silly it is and say you dont have to do it or can do it another time. they have a duty to support you and if they say they can't help, contact the student union and speak to them as i'm pretty sure it would be not be popular for them to prevent you taking up your place because you started out in a different country. remember that all universities now accept vast numbers of international students, and none of them have GCSEs. you could try contacting the international office at our uni too. they might be a really good bet as they'll know all the procedures. its unlikely you're the first person to go to the uni from your country and they should know what happened with the last person.