Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Wish me Luck

I thought it would be a good idea to start looking early for a cattery that is willing to look after the notorious Mitzi this summer.

I basically need someone who is willing to NOT try to stroke her. If I don't warn them, they will try to stroke her, she will bite them, and they will ban her. If I do warn them, some will be put off, but eventually I will find someone willing to accommodate her without stroking her, it will go well, and I will have found a cattery I can use again and again.

Mitzi also has epilepsy. She doesn't need any special treatment, but people need to know so they don't freak out and take her to the vet unless it's really necessary.

After she got banned from 3 catteries, I found a brilliant cattery where I used to live, but now I have moved I need to find one again. I'm starting with combined kennels/catteries in the hope that their real love will be dogs and they won't feel so compelled to cuddle her.

Hi Tally good luck, but I am really surprised about the last three catteries behaviour, my cats actually go to a Cat Hotel, the owners are avid cat lovers, and I know that they look after every cat as an individual and treat every cat with thier own needs, many of the cats have to take medications and there are cats with a range of special needs such as Epilepsy which might be related to why she doesnt want anyone toutching her, and the owners of the one I use would ensure they follow any instructions you gave them, I am apauled that three catteries have banned her, I know its because she bit but she was probably petrified, You would of thought they have seen it all, Tally I think its totally unfortunate that you found three that where not sympathetic and probably didnt want the extra work entailed in caring for you cat.

I hope this one really helps your cat out, I wish you could meet the ones I go to, they are fab, just letting you know there is some really good caring ones that dont do it for the money but for the love of cats.

JsMumxx

:unsure: It's news to me that cats get banned from catteries for simply doing what cats do. Surely cattery owners should acquaint themselves with the needs and personalities (or should that be catalities?) of the cats they take in, and treat them accordingly.

My cat would definitely get banned - she's horrible. She not only bites, she takes your hand in her paws and actively searches for the most tender part of the wrist to sink her fangs into. :rolleyes:

K x

Have you thought about using a cat rescue instead of a cattery ?

As they deal with cats that have undergone various traumas, I think the y would be used to one which does not want personal attention.

Try Cats protection league etc. They probably don't take cats routinely for holiday care, but if you explain your circumstances they may be able to help you.

I've heard back from a few and they are all too busy for all of August :rolleyes:

Mitzi is a lot better now than she was at the time when she got banned from the catteries. She had a successful stay in a cattery 3 years ago for a whole week, where she did not bite once, and she has even improved since then.

If it comes to it, my dad will probably drop by every day to feed her, but I'd prefer her to be somewhere where she would be checked on more regularly than once a day.

our old dog was banned from the vets and we were told they would inform the authorities he was dangerous (they never did) because he growled and snapped (not bite) at a stupid vet who grabbed him by two legs and yanked on them trying to shove him to a lying down position. he was a st bernard so that was clearly never going to work, he weighed more than me! all she had to do was pat him on the head and then tickle his tummy and he'd have gone down happy and stayed there! the vet had also told us she was afraid of big dogs when we walked through the door so obviously didn't have a clue what she was doing. it amazes me these people are allowed to look after animals

good luck finding someone who will look after her for you. we're currently searching for someone to look after our chickens and that is rather complicated, think we've settled on someone who can come round and collect the eggs and top up the food and water without any contact with the chooks (who dont bite, but do like to escape and refuse to go back into the run)