Mandapanda

Shoe fitting

Hi

I found the Startrite website has some helpful information and tools for measuring your child's feet at home. Obviously it's best to go to a qualified fitted if you can, but if like me you have trouble getting your child out of the house or they are less likely to co-operate with a stranger, this could be very useful.

http://www.startriteshoes.com/fitting

One idea that was told to me was to get your child, or adult come to that to stand on a piece of paper and draw round their foot, cut it out and try it in the shoe.

I've had the shoes deal today. :wacko: What a nightmare. We went to four different shoe shops and tried Clarks, Startrite and Hushpuppies. My daughter has one foot size 4E one foot size 4.5F. We had to try on several different styles of shoe before we got one to fit well enough and that was Hushpuppies and that's only because hushpuppies have the different insoles to compensate for different widths. I saw what Startrite did on their site and thought that was good, especially for those parents who have children that hate shoe shops, but it wouldn't have been any good in our case. :crying: It would have saved a lot of time on such a nice day as well!

I've had the shoes deal today. :wacko: What a nightmare. We went to four different shoe shops and tried Clarks, Startrite and Hushpuppies. My daughter has one foot size 4E one foot size 4.5F. We had to try on several different styles of shoe before we got one to fit well enough and that was Hushpuppies and that's only because hushpuppies have the different insoles to compensate for different widths. I saw what Startrite did on their site and thought that was good, especially for those parents who have children that hate shoe shops, but it wouldn't have been any good in our case. :crying: It would have saved a lot of time on such a nice day as well!

Hi darky

Poor you!

My eldest is 16 and a size 6 1/2 H. H fitting makes it quite difficult to get shoes for him. He was offered a choice of 2 shoes to try at Clark's. It's really annoying because there's much more choice for younger children, and he feels the adults shoes are too 'business-like'.

Startrite shoes are very expensive but at least the site can be used to get an idea of size. They do provide a good service though and it's easy to return shoes that are not suitable.

I tried to order Clark's shoes for my youngest but they won't send to the house. You have to get them sent to a store and go in to get them fitted - although I have bought shoes there before without him and they write on the receipt 'not fitted'.

I don't think anyone is symmetrical but it must be tricky for your daughter, hopefully her feet will even out as she gets older. I love Hushpuppy shoes they're really comfortable.

I know, it's a nightmare. She's always been awkward with shoes, and because she has floppy feet and rotation from her knee, she really needs something with good support and no heel. Most of the styles we have to right off before she's tried them on. When they get that bit older, especially girls, the shoes have such weak support. :wacko: I know what you mean about the boys as well. My youngest son 13, he's a size 8. It's difficult to get him shoes that are appropriate school shoes. Most children now have big feet. You would think they would make allowances!

I know, it's a nightmare. She's always been awkward with shoes, and because she has floppy feet and rotation from her knee, she really needs something with good support and no heel. Most of the styles we have to right off before she's tried them on. When they get that bit older, especially girls, the shoes have such weak support. :wacko: I know what you mean about the boys as well. My youngest son 13, he's a size 8. It's difficult to get him shoes that are appropriate school shoes. Most children now have big feet. You would think they would make allowances!

Hi darky

Came across this website in my travels - they do 'men's size' (and 'ladies size') school shoes. Some of them seem really cheap.

http://www.wynsors.com/mens-shoes-mens-sch...oes-c-1_80.html